Bauer 2024 - Shadow

ZeroGravitas

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

What beef do you have with him? I'm curious, because he has a good reputation among goalie reviewers.

Did you test the Shadows and find something different from what he says? 

I use Shadows and love everything about them. I think like others have said he obsesses over unimportant little details that only matter to him and my biggest peeve is his skill level. Like others have mentioned, he is very confident that everything he says is correct. To me, him reviewing top end goalie gear would be like me reviewing pro golf clubs. I absolutely blow at golf and can’t do much more than a mini golf course, so my words on the clubs would be worthless to most even semi-experienced golfers. If you can’t play the position correctly and use the pads properly, in the correct techniques and so on, how can you properly evaluate their performance? I’ve seen clips of this guy playing, and I think I’ve seen more athletic 70 year olds at rinks by me.

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I wouldn't listen to a word this guy says. As far as I'm concerned he's a fucking clown. Guy is a dogshit F mens league goalie who prefers ball hockey gloves to real ones. Just read reviews on goaliemonkey or here and build your on thoughts off that. And for what it's worth, I love my shadows. If you have leg muscles, sliding is fine in any set of pads.

Fully agree, Matt is one of the worst goalies I have ever seen given access to decent gear. He barely tries to hide that he's just in it for cheap/free gear. As you said the dude is just plain awful in net and constantly hyper focuses on minute details that hardly affect pad performance. I believe he's now blocked me on insta because of the numerous bits and pieces I've annoyed him about especially on leg pads. Surprised he hasn't pulled his groin yet trying to stretch his review lengths and exaggerate absolutely minuscule things like how thick one brands jenpro is compared to another

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I use Shadows and love everything about them. I think like others have said he obsesses over unimportant little details that only matter to him and my biggest peeve is his skill level. Like others have mentioned, he is very confident that everything he says is correct. To me, him reviewing top end goalie gear would be like me reviewing pro golf clubs. I absolutely blow at golf and can’t do much more than a mini golf course, so my words on the clubs would be worthless to most even semi-experienced golfers. If you can’t play the position correctly and use the pads properly, in the correct techniques and so on, how can you properly evaluate their performance? I’ve seen clips of this guy playing, and I think I’ve seen more athletic 70 year olds at rinks by me.

That makes more sense. I would review rebounds by having people shoot pucks at pads and see how far they bounce off (and also measure with radar guns). This would allow for an assessment of pad performance live.

I hope that someone like Kasimir Kaskisuo (or of a similar caliber) would be willing to do equipment reviews, so that we can see how pro-level pads do with an actual pro. I think Trav might be good as an equipment reviewer if his pro hockey career fizzles out. 

16 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

. Surprised he hasn't pulled his groin yet trying to stretch his review lengths and exaggerate absolutely minuscule things like how thick one brands jenpro is compared to another

Why do you think he's always advertising CoreShorts? 

8 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

I hope that someone like Kasimir Kaskisuo (or of a similar caliber) would be willing to do equipment reviews, so that we can see how pro-level pads do with an actual pro. I think Trav might be good as an equipment reviewer if his pro hockey career fizzles out. 

KK and Trav would both be horrendous reviewers. 

KK, before going to True, was using a Bauer specced pad that he had no knowledge about other than "I tried this from someone and like it so I continued to get it". I also can't tell if he just can't articulate it well enough, but even his explanation to why he likes his True gear is severely lacking. 

Trav, well, he's got a plethora of reviews online already and they're all fucking dogshit lol. We complain about Hockey Reviews' bias, but Trav's is so unabashedly worse it's not even worse entertaining. 

Let alone some of his points are just objectively incorrect. 

Matt has some quirks in his reviews that are easily ignored, and yea, dude isn't a great goalie, but a lot of the details he walks through are at least correct. 

Just need more @TheGoalNet reviews. Especially now that he's got his fancy pointin' stick. 

• Like 4

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Why do you think he's always advertising CoreShorts? 

KK and Trav would both be horrendous reviewers. 

KK, before going to True, was using a Bauer specced pad that he had no knowledge about other than "I tried this from someone and like it so I continued to get it". I also can't tell if he just can't articulate it well enough, but even his explanation to why he likes his True gear is severely lacking. 

Trav, well, he's got a plethora of reviews online already and they're all fucking dogshit lol. We complain about Hockey Reviews' bias, but Trav's is so unabashedly worse it's not even worse entertaining. 

Let alone some of his points are just objectively incorrect. 

Matt has some quirks in his reviews that are easily ignored, and yea, dude isn't a great goalie, but a lot of the details he walks through are at least correct. 

Just need more @TheGoalNet reviews. Especially now that he's got his fancy pointin' stick. 

I brought up KK as an example of the talent level that would be better as a reviewer. Someone on par with him or Bones (affiliated minor league goalie) would be good to see how the pad performs with an elite player. Trav is controversial, but at least Trav can claim to be a pro goalie. Matt cannot make any claim to be a pro goalie. 

16 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

That makes more sense. I would review rebounds by having people shoot pucks at pads and see how far they bounce off (and also measure with radar guns). This would allow for an assessment of pad performance live.

I get I'm not in the AHL, but I would consider myself pretty damn good. I've skated with plenty of NAHL, USHL, and various pro goalies, and I've been a just as good, if not better skater than all of them, and tracking and all other skills I was not far off. (take into account I got cut from the nahl due to politics alone) I say all this just to say that I can competently test equipment at a high level. @ThatCarGuy plays at the same level as me and can speak to the gear from a legitimate standpoint as well. I'm not starting a YouTube channel but I'm happy to answer any questions people may have on here.

And just to get one more jab in on hockey reviews, if a puck is going to hit the thigh rise of your pad, that is exactly why you hold a stick with a giant blade on it. Pads are for saves outside the knees (theoretically perfect situation) and given the time and space you should get your stick on shots on the ice inside the knees. Only thigh rise I've seen get squeaked through was on the legs of Jonathan Quick, so if you wear pads from the last 10 years I think you'll be ok.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Trav is controversial, but at least Trav can claim to be a pro goalie. 

Can he though? 

Capture.PNG.28bed27c1ad7fef7ddf1e05bac81db5f.PNG

FYI, apparently he's already back in Canada and isn't playing with this team in Spain. Which is literally just Men's League lol. 

Either way, I know where your heads at, but KK is a great testament that not all Pro's are gear heads. I know Charlie Lindgren barely knows what he wears either. 

Goalie Gear Snob does half decent reviews and is a EBUG for Dallas. Dude rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but his reviews are more or less what I look for. 

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I get I'm not in the AHL, but I would consider myself pretty damn good. I've skated with plenty of NAHL, USHL, and various pro goalies, and I've been a just as good, if not better skater than all of them, and tracking and all other skills I was not far off. (take into account I got cut from the nahl due to politics alone) I say all this just to say that I can competently test equipment at a high level. @ThatCarGuy plays at the same level as me and can speak to the gear from a legitimate standpoint as well. I'm not starting a YouTube channel but I'm happy to answer any questions people may have on here.

And just to get one more jab in on hockey reviews, if a puck is going to hit the thigh rise of your pad, that is exactly why you hold a stick with a giant blade on it. Pads are for saves outside the knees (theoretically perfect situation) and given the time and space you should get your stick on shots on the ice inside the knees. Only thigh rise I've seen get squeaked through was on the legs of Jonathan Quick, so if you wear pads from the last 10 years I think you'll be ok.

Robin Lehner had a couple go through the very soft thigh rise of his Brian's pads when he was with Vegas, as well.

As far as HockeyReviews goes, I like his videos because he shows all the different angles of the pads, the inside of the glove/blocker, etc, and as much of the internals and other areas that you can't see in most online pictures. As someone who doesn't live in a place with a big hockey store, that is helpful to me. I don't watch his game footage and don't really pay attention to his commentary.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Can he though? 

Capture.PNG.28bed27c1ad7fef7ddf1e05bac81db5f.PNG

FYI, apparently he's already back in Canada and isn't playing with this team in Spain. Which is literally just Men's League lol. 

Either way, I know where your heads at, but KK is a great testament that not all Pro's are gear heads. I know Charlie Lindgren barely knows what he wears either. 

Goalie Gear Snob does half decent reviews and is a EBUG for Dallas. Dude rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but his reviews are more or less what I look for. 

Somehow this is the first time I'm learning that his second swedish team was division 3, that's fucking brutal. My affiliated senior team in Sweden was division 1 and even that was Sweden's 4th tier of "pro" hockey. They were pretty damn good, certainly better than just about any other team I've gotten the chance to skate with

52 minutes ago, Teezle said:

Robin Lehner had a couple go through the very soft thigh rise of his Brian's pads when he was with Vegas, as well.

As far as HockeyReviews goes, I like his videos because he shows all the different angles of the pads, the inside of the glove/blocker, etc, and as much of the internals and other areas that you can't see in most online pictures. As someone who doesn't live in a place with a big hockey store, that is helpful to me. I don't watch his game footage and don't really pay attention to his commentary.

Fair enough, although at that point you're not really watching his review, more so just looking at the gear. (I heard a guy around here does something similar😛)

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Surprised he hasn't pulled his groin yet trying to stretch his review lengths and exaggerate absolutely minuscule things like how thick one brands jenpro is compared to another

I'm sure the dude is pulling his groin - multiple times - over himself, and his r/hockeygoalies Reddit "clout"

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know EXACTLY what you mean and I really don't think he tries to come across that way. I like Dudo and have spoken to him a lot. He's very knowledgeable but he can, and does, come across abrasive for no reason sometimes. The fact he made his name with "snob" at the end tells me he is aware of it and doesn't care so yeah idk maybe he does try to, which contradicts my first sentence so yeah idk lol.

This Shadow thread has taken a turn but I'm going to use this time to pray on the Bauer gods to speed up my order because I need them NOW and I'm only 5 weeks into a 7-10 week quote 🥲 and have never gotten a custom set early but that will not stop me from hoping it happens this time 🤣

Edited by Smalls
  • Haha 1

I thought Mach slid poorly and I put the PPF on them, find that Shadow corrected that.

My only complaint with Shadow is that they changed the strapping. You cannot wear it as tightly as Mach, there is too much slack and I find the pad feels sloppy at times.

If you're new to Bauer, probably wouldn't notice it. If you wear your pads loose, probably wouldn't notice it. As someone would thought Mach strapping was mint, it bugs me. I am probably going to get my strapped shortened.

Hopefully that is "neutral" and helpful.

Fire away with other questions

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I thought Mach slid poorly and I put the PPF on them, find that Shadow corrected that.

My only complaint with Shadow is that they changed the strapping. You cannot wear it as tightly as Mach, there is too much slack and I find the pad feels sloppy at times.

If you're new to Bauer, probably wouldn't notice it. If you wear your pads loose, probably wouldn't notice it. As someone would thought Mach strapping was mint, it bugs me. I am probably going to get my strapped shortened.

Hopefully that is "neutral" and helpful.

Fire away with other questions

That makes sense. How far and fast does Shadow send rebounds compared to similar pads for other manufacturers (Brian's Optik 3/4, Warrior G7, CCM Axis XF, True Hzrdous)?

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'm sure the dude is pulling his groin - multiple times - over himself, and his r/hockeygoalies Reddit "clout"

Was waiting for you. 

11 hours ago, Smalls said:

I know EXACTLY what you mean and I really don't think he tries to come across that way. I like Dudo and have spoken to him a lot. He's very knowledgeable but he can, and does, come across abrasive for no reason sometimes. The fact he made his name with "snob" at the end tells me he is aware of it and doesn't care.

He's definitely very knowledgeable about what he talks about and he's very clear about his opinions and tries to not let it sway his reviews. So I do appreciate that. 

He's just not a dude I'd grab a beer with. 

The "Snob" thing never bothered me. Though I feel like it would fit better with someone a little more jovial or who doesn't come across as so serious. 

Like me.  

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Shadows definitely slide better than Machs. Feels similar if not a bit better than what my Ultrasonics were. Either that or my affair with my G7's skewed my memory of how my US' slid. 

The only real change to the strapping was the lower calf wrap attachment which is tighter than Mach. I feel like even at the loosest settings my Shadows feel tighter to my legs than Machs. 

23 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's a pointless test since if you're ever in that position to replicate it, you're so far off of how you should be playing that you should probably hang 'em up. 

Separate topic: anyone with a light or white backhand on their blockers have any ink bleed?

I think this is from the palm of the blocker since I never had this on my Mach but it's slightly disappointing after only three skates. 

WhatsAppImage2024-10-08at11_05_51.thumb.jpeg.f71e5de3d81fbdc2df102521f04f769a.jpeg

So after doing some digging, it seems that everyone with a custom order has a jenpro backing in this area and the black retail blockers are the same. 

This nylon seems to be a white base, retail only, spec. 

Thanks Bauer. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Smalls said:

I know EXACTLY what you mean and I really don't think he tries to come across that way. I like Dudo and have spoken to him a lot. He's very knowledgeable but he can, and does, come across abrasive for no reason sometimes. The fact he made his name with "snob" at the end tells me he is aware of it and doesn't care so yeah idk maybe he does try to, which contradicts my first sentence so yeah idk lol.

This Shadow thread has taken a turn but I'm going to use this time to pray on the Bauer gods to speed up my order because I need them NOW and I'm only 5 weeks into a 7-10 week quote 🥲 and have never gotten a custom set early but that will not stop me from hoping it happens this time 🤣

Yeah I generally like his reviews and what I really enjoy from him is his unboxing of his personal custom sets.  I really dig his enthusiasm and sincere giddyness about his new gear.

Where I check out with him--and I'm not saying this content should not be out there--is on his Instagram especially there's just too much "how to get dressed" or "how to pack your bag" or "how to get undressed" or "how to wear knee pads" type of content that is neither interesting nor useful for me, personally .  Again, that content should exist for newbies but for me, a not newbie, it's like meh.  

I want to learn about gear not what some dude does with his gear in the locker room. 

Oh, and on topic, love my Shadow set, no complaints, great decision to buy these. Yay. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I really dig his enthusiasm and sincere giddyness about his new gear.

I love this part about his channel too. He lives for it you can tell and I love that cuz me too.

A guy commented "First" on one of his vids and Dudo just straight up said something like "Stop doing this, it's dumb and you look stupid" and while he's completely right and I giggled(and agree) the guy is only helping the algorithm promote your video and he is a subscriber of yours. Just let it go lol. If someone is excited for your video and wants to comment something pointless let him, it's not a big deal.

I've also seen, some guy saying something about some random pro goalie and what he might or might not wear, he wasn't being pushy about it and Dudo replied "He uses this, do not argue with me". Not exact words but whatever he said was just as abrasive and well Snobby as that. It's just like, man, he was just saying something he wasn't declaring a duel 😂.

14 minutes ago, Smalls said:

"Stop doing this, it's dumb and you look stupid" "He uses this, do not argue with me". 

On his G7 video I asked him how he's able to manage to fit into his 32 axis based off of his ATK and he replied in a pretty asshole-ish way as well.

Again, knowledgeable dude and tries to separate his biases from his review.

Just not a dude I'd ever have a beer with 

• Like 1