Bauer 2024 - Shadow

ZeroGravitas

Playing around with some custom shadow sticks i did to match a shadow set I didn't end up ordering. Rounded shoulder and p34. It's weird going back to a traditional handle after being in the xf for months. But so far they are nice. 

Snapchat-682492848.jpg

• Like 3

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

Played in my Shadows last night. Felt more comfortable in them than after 20 skates in my G7's. 

Blocker sidewall is a bit cumbersome, but manageable. Still disappointed they changed it for no reason. 

Catcher pretty much addressed my issues with the Mach: The strapping. Glove felt super comfortable, just need to get used to the added weight compared to my Warrior and the new catching angle. 

So far, very happy with my first outing. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Played in my Shadows last night. Felt more comfortable in them than after 20 skates in my G7's. 

Blocker sidewall is a bit cumbersome, but manageable. Still disappointed they changed it for no reason. 

Catcher pretty much addressed my issues with the Mach: The strapping. Glove felt super comfortable, just need to get used to the added weight compared to my Warrior and the new catching angle. 

I really did not like the sidewall at first either but don't even notice it now. And completely agree re: the glove. It feels great, and I haven't had much difficulty adapting to the break angle. 

I'm actually curious, for anyone who's a 600 break guy/girl, is the Shadow a true 600? To me it feels like it might be more of a hybrid or in between. 

4 minutes ago, froese said:

I really did not like the sidewall at first either but don't even notice it now. And completely agree re: the glove. It feels great, and I haven't had much difficulty adapting to the break angle. 

I'm actually curious, for anyone who's a 600 break guy/girl, is the Shadow a true 600? To me it feels like it might be more of a hybrid or in between. 

Yea, I'm sure I'll get used to the sidewall. Palms and straps on the blocker and pads are all very tight but I know they'll loosen up a bit once they break in. My Mach palm felt like this new and it ended up far roomier after a year. 

It's a 600 in the notion of the break angle and how it closes, but how it sits on your hand is different than a Lefevre 600. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Glad to hear it! Man 20 skates, nobody can say you didn't give Warrior the ol' college try. I haven't been able to skate in my Bauers yet but just the design/fit/strapping, I can see what all the hype is about. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, froese said:

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's a 600 in the notion of the break angle and how it closes, but how it sits on your hand is different than a Lefevre 600. 

Echoing/confirming what Coop said here. It feels like a 600 on the closure, but every brand does it a little different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keeperton said:

Echoing/confirming what Coop said here. It feels like a 600 on the closure, but every brand does it a little different.

I don't know how different the Shadow is from the 3S but the break angle and shape of the top of the glove of the 3S is identical to the Velocity 3. so if the V3 can be considered 600 then so can the Bauer. but I’m sure they differ from 600 Lefebvre

top Bauer bottom V3

IMG20240512141425.thumb.jpg.ab24c29b644d1cb137eb5ac2ec68c56d.jpg

• Like 2

I was about to order a set of Shadow’s, thanks in part to what has been said about them here, but then I watched this review 

For those of you that have them, how does your experience with them compare to what he says? Things like poor sliding, too soft, quality issues. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Ross said:

I was about to order a set of Shadow’s, thanks in part to what has been said about them here, but then I watched this review 

For those of you that have them, how does your experience with them compare to what he says? Things like poor sliding, too soft, quality issues. Thanks 

Hockey Reviews used to be a member on this site a long time ago. 

I like his reviews as he's probably the most comprehensive overview of gear out there. 

In saying that, always sift through his opinions and don't apply them as facts. He tends to blend his opinions about his preferences as objective pros and cons to a set of gear. 

An example is that he always opts for the stiffest pad specs available and likes to wear his gear super loose. If at retail it doesn't meet this criteria, hes overly critical of it. Like this Shadow review. 

Ultrasonic (now shadow) stiffness profile is the most popular "stiff" stiffness at retail and pros. Mach wasn't a very popular pad because of this, but, because Bauer didn't continue with thst Mach default stiffness, he sees it as nonsensical and a step back. 

When in reality it's a market and overall preference change to the majority of Bauer users. 

Use Hockey Reviews videos as a great deep dive of features of gear, but definitely tune out the more opinionated aspects of it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’m with coop I’m not the best goalie in the world but dude is a mediocre beer league goalie who thinks his opinions are the gospel. He “reviews” gear and sprinkles in his opinions which turn into the facts about the gear he is reviewing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ross said:

@coopaloop1234 thanks for responding. Now I just have to decide on what colours to get.

Yea, I didn't want to share my overall opinion on the Shadows as I only have one skate so far, but sliding, stiffness, and overall build quality are all fine out of the gate. 

They're stiffer than what my Ultrasonics were after 1.5 years and they slide just as good. 

My set felt tighter on the blocker and leg pads than I typically prefer, but it's something thst will break in and I'll also adjust. 

If you like the Supreme line in the past, I wouldn't sweat it with the Shadows 

• Like 1

I was about to post these thoughts before seeing this latest back and forth so I just want to make the disclaimer that this is not in any way meant to reflect negatively on Shadows and their quality, sliding characteristics or stiffness. I think in each of those areas their great and on par with any other top level pad. But, last night I had an off night with my Bauers on the ice and so tonight I went back to my px3's and it reminded me why I love them so much and got them in the first place. For me, the fit and feel and width of the leg channel is a serious differentiator between the two. Both slide great, both have significant stiffness and kick out rebounds well, but I think for me the Trues are just more in line with my personal preference and how they fit. And ultimately that's what it comes down to for each person on an individual level. You can watch these online reviews and listen to people's experiences but it also has to be taken with a grain of salt and contextualized through the lens of the person's personal point of view and biases that are always going to be present. 

The Shadows are great. So are Px3s. It's always going to come down to what you personally prefer. 

Now, who wants to buy a lightly used well cared for Bauer Shadow set size medium? 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hockey Reviews used to be a member on this site a long time ago. 

I like his reviews as he's probably the most comprehensive overview of gear out there. 

In saying that, always sift through his opinions and don't apply them as facts. He tends to blend his opinions about his preferences as objective pros and cons to a set of gear. 

An example is that he always opts for the stiffest pad specs available and likes to wear his gear super loose. If at retail it doesn't meet this criteria, hes overly critical of it. Like this Shadow review. 

Ultrasonic (now shadow) stiffness profile is the most popular "stiff" stiffness at retail and pros. Mach wasn't a very popular pad because of this, but, because Bauer didn't continue with thst Mach default stiffness, he sees it as nonsensical and a step back. 

When in reality it's a market and overall preference change to the majority of Bauer users. 

Use Hockey Reviews videos as a great deep dive of features of gear, but definitely tune out the more opinionated aspects of it. 

this is the case when the language barrier is beneficial. lol. I’m often too lazy to turn on automatic translation of his videos and I just watch the nuances of the design that are most interesting to me than the user’s opinion. this video is very useful for me

8 hours ago, froese said:

I was about to post these thoughts before seeing this latest back and forth so I just want to make the disclaimer that this is not in any way meant to reflect negatively on Shadows and their quality, sliding characteristics or stiffness. I think in each of those areas their great and on par with any other top level pad. But, last night I had an off night with my Bauers on the ice and so tonight I went back to my px3's and it reminded me why I love them so much and got them in the first place. For me, the fit and feel and width of the leg channel is a serious differentiator between the two. Both slide great, both have significant stiffness and kick out rebounds well, but I think for me the Trues are just more in line with my personal preference and how they fit. And ultimately that's what it comes down to for each person on an individual level. You can watch these online reviews and listen to people's experiences but it also has to be taken with a grain of salt and contextualized through the lens of the person's personal point of view and biases that are always going to be present. 

The Shadows are great. So are Px3s. It's always going to come down to what you personally prefer. 

Now, who wants to buy a lightly used well cared for Bauer Shadow set size medium? 😂😂

All black? 

I quite enjoy HockeyReviews content but I think his obsession with the stiffest thigh flex, and thigh puck machine tests are irrelevant lol. I've played a long time and I can't think of more than like 1 time a soft thigh rise has let a puck past me which is the entire premise behind that test he loves to do. I have played with an AHL team in multiple practices, I regularly play men's league with ex and current pros weekly. Never does a puck just move my thigh rise out of the way. @coopaloop1234 that G5 set I sold you a while ago was probably as soft as it gets for thigh rise and it never let a puck just blow right through it, and yet it's almost exclusively what HR harps on about pads.

So I think coops assessment of this situation with his critiques are very valid and spot on. I do use his videos when people ask about certain things and I can send them a good put together video that shows certain aspects of things that are just easier to see than read about if I commented it to them.

It's one thing to like a stiff pad, it's another to say it's bad or make people think that if your thighrise is soft the puck will just move it out of the way. Does it happen? Rarely, less rarely in the NHL but I don't think 98% of people shopping pads are going to run into that situation.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Smalls said:

I quite enjoy HockeyReviews content but I think his obsession with the stiffest thigh flex, and thigh puck machine tests are irrelevant lol. 

Highly irrelevant. The scenario he's replicating is so rare that it's a very pointless "test".

@coopaloop1234 that G5 set I sold you a while ago was probably as soft as it gets for thigh rise and it never let a puck just blow right through it, and yet it's almost exclusively what HR harps on about pads.

Those were baby shit soft. Was my only gripe with the leg pads. My RGT2 Pro's were stiffer. 

Me getting those G5's was what made me go over to Bauer in the first place. So my Shadow's are a direct result of you selling me those lemons. ;) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, johncho said:

Saw the puck machine tests and I don't think that I'll ever be flexible enough for a puck to hit my thigh rise that squarely if I'm facing the puck properly.  

It's a pointless test since if you're ever in that position to replicate it, you're so far off of how you should be playing that you should probably hang 'em up. 

Separate topic: anyone with a light or white backhand on their blockers have any ink bleed?

I think this is from the palm of the blocker since I never had this on my Mach but it's slightly disappointing after only three skates. 

WhatsAppImage2024-10-08at11_05_51.thumb.jpeg.f71e5de3d81fbdc2df102521f04f769a.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 10/3/2024 at 6:23 PM, Ross said:

I wouldn't listen to a word this guy says. As far as I'm concerned he's a fucking clown. Guy is a dogshit F mens league goalie who prefers ball hockey gloves to real ones. Just read reviews on goaliemonkey or here and build your on thoughts off that. And for what it's worth, I love my shadows. If you have leg muscles, sliding is fine in any set of pads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I wouldn't listen to a word this guy says. As far as I'm concerned he's a fucking clown. Guy is a dogshit F mens league goalie who prefers ball hockey gloves to real ones. Just read reviews on goaliemonkey or here and build your on thoughts off that. And for what it's worth, I love my shadows. If you have leg muscles, sliding is fine in any set of pads.

You sound like he fucked your mother. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

What beef do you have with him? I'm curious, because he has a good reputation among goalie reviewers.

Did you test the Shadows and find something different from what he says?