Bauer 2024 - Shadow

ZeroGravitas

30 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Considering my familiarity with Mach and Ultrasonic legs, this will be a pretty familiar set. 

Very sad about my Warriors, but just couldn't make them work for me. 

Yeah that must suck. But better to recognize something that's not going to work and pull the trigger on making a change than to be frustrated with gear you aren't comfortable in.

• Like 1

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
1 hour ago, Ross said:

@coopaloop1234what didn’t you like about the G7’s?

To but simply, could never get comfortable in the blocker and pads. 

They were fine, but after months of use, they just always felt off and never could get them dialed in.

Catcher as always was phenomenal. Only part of the Shadow I'm iffy about is the catcher as I never could get comfortable in the Mach (mostly due to strapping). 

So if it doesn't work out, I'll absolutely go back to the 7.0 catcher 

5 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That may be the case with the bigger companies, but with PAW, I got the gloves in July after ordering them in May. 

Bauer custom is actually 6-7 weeks at the moment even though they officially quote 8-10 weeks. I think a big reason for the speed is graphics are all printed instead of stitched like other companies.

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So what did you change from your first set? 

So that first set was full stock Shadow. 

This set I went with Shadow chassis, Shadow Graphic, Hyperlite Thigh, Vapor Knee Block, Supreme Strapping, Shadow Boot, Shadow Glove, and Two Piece Blocker.

Mainly loved my shadow set but team went with dif colors and I wanted to match. I liked the recessed somewhat oldschool boot channel in the Shadows over a flat boot like the Hyperlites so that's why I chose that chassis. For whatever reason I feel clunkier in straighter thigh pads so I went with Hyperlite since Im an arm leaner and hoping I can shape them into more of an S than stock Shadows would be able to and with my HL1 set I had it was still plenty stiff for me.

Also felt like clunkiness in the RVH could have been remedied a bit by a more forgiving knee block so that's why I went with the vapor knee. Loved my shadow glove so I changed nothing there. Then with the 2 piece blocker I see a ton of reviews and pros who continue to chose it so just wanna see what the hype is about.

Set will be here before Halloween I'm hoping.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smalls said:

So that first set was full stock Shadow. 

This set I went with Shadow chassis, Shadow Graphic, Hyperlite Thigh, Vapor Knee Block, Supreme Strapping, Shadow Boot, Shadow Glove, and Two Piece Blocker.

Mainly loved my shadow set but team went with dif colors and I wanted to match. I liked the recessed somewhat oldschool boot channel in the Shadows over a flat boot like the Hyperlites so that's why I chose that chassis. For whatever reason I feel clunkier in straighter thigh pads so I went with Hyperlite since Im an arm leaner and hoping I can shape them into more of an S than stock Shadows would be able to and with my HL1 set I had it was still plenty stiff for me.

Also felt like clunkiness in the RVH could have been remedied a bit by a more forgiving knee block so that's why I went with the vapor knee. Loved my shadow glove so I changed nothing there. Then with the 2 piece blocker I see a ton of reviews and pros who continue to chose it so just wanna see what the hype is about.

Set will be here before Halloween I'm hoping.

Copy that. Did you still get the supreme calf bracket then? 

Colour scheme? 

51 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Copy that. Did you still get the supreme calf bracket then? 

Colour scheme? 

Yep supreme calf, it felt snug and good to me on my other set.

New colors are black white kelly green but I'm gonna go with just black and kelly green on pads, no white.

This will be my mask wrap tho as a teaser which matches my current mask, just with colors switched around. I do design for a living and play hockey with the owner of SkinFX.

But my first time in anything other than Red/Black in over 5 years.

MedalOverlay.thumb.jpg.eaf41bd874ecb3039782d5cb7695cdeb.jpg

Edited by Smalls
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2024 at 8:21 PM, Smalls said:

Yep supreme calf, it felt snug and good to me on my other set.

New colors are black white kelly green but I'm gonna go with just black and kelly green on pads, no white.

This will be my mask wrap tho as a teaser which matches my current mask, just with colors switched around. I do design for a living and play hockey with the owner of SkinFX.

But my first time in anything other than Red/Black in over 5 years.

MedalOverlay.thumb.jpg.eaf41bd874ecb3039782d5cb7695cdeb.jpg

How much does a full custom wrap like that cost? Does he have a website?

Also kind of random but I was having trouble with stick paddle integration in my Bauer X5 blocker until I realized the elastic that was pulling down the index finger protection was just too tight. There were two straps so I simply cut one of them and now the finger protection still lays flat against the paddle to protect my finger but without being so tight that it restricts the angle at which I can hold the paddle. It was starting to kind of screw with my ready stance so I'm relieved I found a workaround. 

Are the index finger protection straps adjustable in the pro level blockers? In the senior it's just two fixed elastics.

31 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Also kind of random but I was having trouble with stick paddle integration in my Bauer X5 blocker until I realized the elastic that was pulling down the index finger protection was just too tight. There were two straps so I simply cut one of them and now the finger protection still lays flat against the paddle to protect my finger but without being so tight that it restricts the angle at which I can hold the paddle. It was starting to kind of screw with my ready stance so I'm relieved I found a workaround. 

Are the index finger protection straps adjustable in the pro level blockers? In the senior it's just two fixed elastics.

No, just the middle to pinky fingers are adjustable. 

Index finger is still fixed though in surprised you found it an issue. I found my Mach to be pretty loose once broken in 

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

No, just the middle to pinky fingers are adjustable. 

Index finger is still fixed though in surprised you found it an issue. I found my Mach to be pretty loose once broken in 

Good to know. I haven't played it a ton yet but I tried some fairly extreme break-in methods with a clamp and still no cigar. Probably would of broken in eventually but I came from a very plush and relaxed fit gnetik II blocker and couldn't wait haha

2 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

How much does a full custom wrap like that cost? Does he have a website?

I have no idea what he charges honestly. The price I pay is reflected as a good friend of many years plus I do the art work which according to him is the biggest time consumer for him. Add in that I'm local and no shipping bs to deal with. So mine is heavily discounted compared to what you would pay.

That being said, he is the best in the wrap game IMO. There are some close others though. I have heard bad things about the wait times and he is a one man band and has a large backlog at the moment understandably. I keep trying to talk him into having me design for him to speed up the stuff but he really takes pride in being able to say he's done it from start to end, and I respect it.

I will say all the wraps I've had done held up until I was bored and ready for a new design. Never had a single issue with the actual product from him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smalls said:

I have no idea what he charges honestly. The price I pay is reflected as a good friend of many years plus I do the art work which according to him is the biggest time consumer for him. Add in that I'm local and no shipping bs to deal with. So mine is heavily discounted compared to what you would pay.

That being said, he is the best in the wrap game IMO. There are some close others though. I have heard bad things about the wait times and he is a one man band and has a large backlog at the moment understandably. I keep trying to talk him into having me design for him to speed up the stuff but he really takes pride in being able to say he's done it from start to end, and I respect it.

I will say all the wraps I've had done held up until I was bored and ready for a new design. Never had a single issue with the actual product from him.

That's awesome, good for him. I'm probably looking for a simpler operation, so I'll let him work with the true artists ha ha. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keeperton said:

Topic related (sick wrap though):

One of the 14U kids I coach had a Shadow stick survive a little more than a week of practices and a game. Whoops, stick feels good off the shelf though.

Mine's almost at the 30 day mark and looks and feels strong. I like it but I think I like the XF Pro more

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Mine's almost at the 30 day mark and looks and feels strong. I like it but I think I like the XF Pro more

I think it's one of those things where you get lucky or you don't. The main goalie on the 16U AA team last year had two Mach sticks that he's still using. One is pretty beat up (a little rain stick sounding), but its constitution remains intact.

I consider it a shame in that Bauer sticks feel wonderful, but I don't want to drop that amount of money on a stick that might be totally fine, or crack in a few weeks.

I want to try the XF Pro stick, but I'm not sure I'd like it with the shaft being a "softer" feel, per its literature.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 8 games in this set I've landed on preferring to have the tune fit strap attach on the outside of the calf strap as opposed to the inner flap which for me, just makes the leg channel feel too tight. Since I also prefer going down the calf with the knee block strap they were both fighting for available velcro real estate. Brought them into my local Source For Sports and they did a pretty simple mod of adding velcro to the dead space between the top and bottom of the calf wrap so there's velcro throughout. It's adhesive, but they also stitched around the perimeter so it feels pretty solid and will give me all the flexibility I need. Should be good! Anyone else done this as well?

20240927_135235.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, froese said:

After about 8 games in this set I've landed on preferring to have the tune fit strap attach on the outside of the calf strap as opposed to the inner flap which for me, just makes the leg channel feel too tight. Since I also prefer going down the calf with the knee block strap they were both fighting for available velcro real estate. Brought them into my local Source For Sports and they did a pretty simple mod of adding velcro to the dead space between the top and bottom of the calf wrap so there's velcro throughout. It's adhesive, but they also stitched around the perimeter so it feels pretty solid and will give me all the flexibility I need. Should be good! Anyone else done this as well?

20240927_135235.jpg

That's a really nice mod, nice work by that crew.  

I used to dream about modding my Supreme M5s with a D ring and longer strap to come back and attach onto itself,  but with my custom Shadows I got a Vapor Connect strap and am no longer having the issue of the Tune Fit strap coming undone while playing.   

I applaud you proactively solving a problem with a mod.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

That's a really nice mod, nice work by that crew.  

I used to dream about modding my Supreme M5s with a D ring and longer strap to come back and attach onto itself,  but with my custom Shadows I got a Vapor Connect strap and am no longer having the issue of the Tune Fit strap coming undone while playing.   

I applaud you proactively solving a problem with a mod.  

The qmss strap on my ef6 set was one of my favourite things about those pads so I definitely relate to your point about the d ring strap. Sounds like you figured out a solution with the vapor connect though which is great. Comfortable strapping and confidence in how your pads fit makes all the difference. 

And yes, the guys at the store do great work and are super helpful. The number of places that do quality pad and equipment repair or mods seems to be shrinking so I definitely appreciate them.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:01 PM, froese said:

20240927_135235.jpg

I added a small shin flap on my 1S and 1X and after a couple of ices I abandoned it for the same reason - the leg channel was too narrow. I attach it to the external protection like you, as Bauer originally intended

• Like 1