Bauer 2024 - Shadow

ZeroGravitas

38 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

IMO, sliding is pretty close. I think HL2 had a slight edge over Shadow for me.

Maybe the lack of the molded calf pillow on the inside makes it feel like the Vapor is shifting around, while the M5 feels more connected to your leg because that pillow is there?

That is possible im thinking of giving the tunefit one more chance and if it doesn't feel great swapping out my tunefit+ and see if i can mimic the feel of the Supremes. They aren't bad just trying to make the switch and get a feel for the new pads. Worse case i bite the bullet and cry and pick up some shadows, but I'm really trying to not go that route since I got the X5's in the colorway i want and i already spent the money on them. 

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
2 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

That is possible im thinking of giving the tunefit one more chance and if it doesn't feel great swapping out my tunefit+ and see if i can mimic the feel of the Supremes. They aren't bad just trying to make the switch and get a feel for the new pads. Worse case i bite the bullet and cry and pick up some shadows, but I'm really trying to not go that route since I got the X5's in the colorway i want and i already spent the money on them. 

Hopefully it's just getting used to the new pad and they work great for you. That said, I could see the M5 sliding a little better. The supreme line prioritizes stability with thicker and stiffer construction and landing gear. Meanwhile the hyperlight line chooses to prioritize light weight and strategically flexible whenever possible with a thinner construction. Not that the difference should be too stark but it might be more noticeable for some depending on your style.

What size did you get just curious?

2 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Hopefully it's just getting used to the new pad and they work great for you. That said, I could see the M5 sliding a little better. The supreme line prioritizes stability with thicker and stiffer construction and landing gear. Meanwhile the hyperlight line chooses to prioritize light weight and strategically flexible whenever possible with a thinner construction. Not that the difference should be too stark but it might be more noticeable for some depending on your style.

What size did you get just curious?

I’m jumping the gun too I’ve only had them on ice for two games and didn’t get to mess with them that much. The knee stack isn’t that much different with the m5 being little beefier. I got mediums and they are a hair shorter in the knee stack and thighrise but nothing so major that they don’t work, I still land with some space on the knee stack. I know you are tossing around the idea of getting some vapors, I can take some pictures on ice if it would help on where I’m landing. I tightened the tunefit and swapped out the stock toe ties see if that gets a better feel. 

they aren’t horrible by any means just feel different from my supremes 

Edited by xmikex32

Another ask, has anyone gone from M5's to Shadows? I've had three outings with my Vapors and still on the fence of holding onto them or pulling the trigger on the Shadows. Ill have to try them on in store and get my hands on them to see how much stiffer they are from the M5s and if the profile is straighter. I know they changed the stiffness of pad to match more the US which is what the M5 is supposed to mimic with maybe being a little softer. 

Im pretty sure its me and not the pads that are the issues I just seem to not be able to move as well and just feel clunky. probably in my head too much thinking there is something wrong with my gear when its just me making mistakes. 

Another ask, has anyone gone from M5's to Shadows? I've had three outings with my Vapors and still on the fence of holding onto them or pulling the trigger on the Shadows. Ill have to try them on in store and get my hands on them to see how much stiffer they are from the M5s and if the profile is straighter. I know they changed the stiffness of pad to match more the US which is what the M5 is supposed to mimic with maybe being a little softer. 

Im pretty sure its me and not the pads that are the issues I just seem to not be able to move as well and just feel clunky. probably in my head too much thinking there is something wrong with my gear when its just me making mistakes. 

@seagoal is a week or so away from his set. He'll be going from M5 to shadow so he'll be able to chime in eventually 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xmikex32 said:

I’m jumping the gun too I’ve only had them on ice for two games and didn’t get to mess with them that much. The knee stack isn’t that much different with the m5 being little beefier. I got mediums and they are a hair shorter in the knee stack and thighrise but nothing so major that they don’t work, I still land with some space on the knee stack. I know you are tossing around the idea of getting some vapors, I can take some pictures on ice if it would help on where I’m landing. I tightened the tunefit and swapped out the stock toe ties see if that gets a better feel. 

they aren’t horrible by any means just feel different from my supremes 

Yeah I would be doing the same thing. We all hope for dramatic improvements with new gear but the reality is it takes times to adjust and benefit from the changes.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I think I'm pretty decided on the sizing. I'm just curious about the calf wedge, it seems a little small compared to the M5. Also what do you think about the differences in the boot? They are different angles and different flexes, how does that affect RVH and rebounds off the toe for you?

15 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Yeah I would be doing the same thing. We all hope for dramatic improvements with new gear but the reality is it takes times to adjust and benefit from the changes.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I think I'm pretty decided on the sizing. I'm just curious about the calf wedge, it seems a little small compared to the M5. Also what do you think about the differences in the boot? They are different angles and different flexes, how does that affect RVH and rebounds off the toe for you?

I havent taken any shots to the toe yet but just flexing them on the ice i can maneuver the toe/boot pretty easily. surprisingly i feel like I can get my toe on the post better than the M5's. i did a lot of shin to post or toe tie to post but it seems like i can hit and get either skate to post or toe tie to post pretty easy and move out of rvh a little quicker. The way the skate contacts the ice feels different and just pushing feels a little different 

Im REALLY wanting these to work ive just had three horrible games the first three times ive worn them. Last night it seems like anything that could go in was going in, im still mad at myself replaying goals from last night and how they went in.

I havent taken any shots to the toe yet but just flexing them on the ice i can maneuver the toe/boot pretty easily. surprisingly i feel like I can get my toe on the post better than the M5's. i did a lot of shin to post or toe tie to post but it seems like i can hit and get either skate to post or toe tie to post pretty easy and move out of rvh a little quicker. The way the skate contacts the ice feels different and just pushing feels a little different 

Im REALLY wanting these to work ive just had three horrible games the first three times ive worn them. Last night it seems like anything that could go in was going in, im still mad at myself replaying goals from last night and how they went in.

That's good to hear. I'm attracted to the 120° boot to help with directing rebounds out to the boards, but if you can just do that yourself with a flexible boot, then I would probably more appreciate the flatter angle and flexibility of the vapors in RVH and other movements. To me that's not surprising that they are better than the M5's in that regard, since they are supposed to be more flexible and mobility oriented. I bet with time you could get adjusted to those other elements.

For what it's worth I think you're onto something that it might've just been some bad mental games. I'm actually a counselor and I find the mental game to be a fascinating aspect of goaltending. You could switch back to your olds pads for a game and see if that makes it easier to focus, or maybe just try to ignore the new pads and just focus on your intuition and reflexes in the game. I'm also a big fan of quiet eyes, Google that if you've never tried it. Have you tried just doing some stick time in your new pads? Whenever I get any new piece of gear I try to spend an hour on the ice just screwing around with it, without having to focus on making saves or feeling the pressure to not let the team down. 😎

14 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That's good to hear. I'm attracted to the 120° boot to help with directing rebounds out to the boards, but if you can just do that yourself with a flexible boot, then I would probably more appreciate the flatter angle and flexibility of the vapors in RVH and other movements. To me that's not surprising that they are better than the M5's in that regard, since they are supposed to be more flexible and mobility oriented. I bet with time you could get adjusted to those other elements.

For what it's worth I think you're onto something that it might've just been some bad mental games. I'm actually a counselor and I find the mental game to be a fascinating aspect of goaltending. You could switch back to your olds pads for a game and see if that makes it easier to focus, or maybe just try to ignore the new pads and just focus on your intuition and reflexes in the game. I'm also a big fan of quiet eyes, Google that if you've never tried it. Have you tried just doing some stick time in your new pads? Whenever I get any new piece of gear I try to spend an hour on the ice just screwing around with it, without having to focus on making saves or feeling the pressure to not let the team down. 😎

I think I’m just thinking too much on how they feel on my leg and if I can move better in them or slide better in them and I don’t focus on the actual save and positioning. Unfortunately with work and family life I don’t get a lot of extra time for stick time and usually my trying out happens at game time. Think I’m trying to replicate the feel of my other pads too much so when it doesn’t feel the same that’s all I’m focusing on. 

thank you for the feedback I have heard of quiet eyes but haven’t looked into it that much but going to give it a look. 

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

@coopaloop1234 @xmikex32  this should be a good start

20240829_091747.jpg

20240829_091927.jpg

20240829_092053.jpg

20240829_092157.jpg

20240829_092237.jpg

20240829_092426.jpg

20240829_092510.jpg

Is it just the camera angle but the thighrise looks bigger on the shadows. The overall shape of the pad looks pretty close the m5's. I know the foams don't really break down but wonder if you could get more of a curve in them once they are worn a couple times.

3 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Is it just the camera angle but the thighrise looks bigger on the shadows. The overall shape of the pad looks pretty close the m5's. I know the foams don't really break down but wonder if you could get more of a curve in them once they are worn a couple times.

Bigger how?

I don't suspect they will change at all.  I am an elbow leaner but I have no reason to think they'll change shape since the M5s did not. 

Edited by seagoal

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Taller. 

But I think that's due to the illusion of it being thinner and straighter. You can tell they're the same size when the pad is face down. 

They're definitely not taller.  Exactly...I put the face down pic first for a reason.  They are a direct 1:1 comparison in overall size over all measurements. 

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

They're definitely not taller.  Exactly...I put the face down pic first for a reason.  They are a direct 1:1 comparison in overall size over all measurements. 

does the curve seem to be pretty close? it looks like the M5's are more of a sweeping gradual curve and the shadows have more of a sharp angle straight back.

4 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

does the curve seem to be pretty close? it looks like the M5's are more of a sweeping gradual curve and the shadows have more of a sharp angle straight back.

They seem identical to me without micro zooming in on each mm of space.

I don't expect to feel any difference there.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

What's the hesitation?

i just got a set of vapors that im trying to get used to and i would have to turn around and sell those before i could pick the shadows up im trying to be fiscally responsible lol. Part of me is saying F it get them then i talk myself out of it.

3 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

i just got a set of vapors that im trying to get used to and i would have to turn around and sell those before i could pick the shadows up im trying to be fiscally responsible lol. Part of me is saying F it get them then i talk myself out of it.

Fiscally responsible? 

Sounds like nonsense to me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Fiscally responsible? 

Sounds like nonsense to me. 

YOLO right? 

Now IF i do go with other pads and im spending the coin already do i get the shadows OR get some iconiks with stiff profile...ive always wanted a set of brians BUT i know i like the Supremes. choices choices.

Edited by xmikex32
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

do i get the shadows OR get some iconiks

As someone who has used both, I'd say it depends on what you want out of the pad. The Iconiks biggest difference is gonna be the S curve. It's more pronounced on the Stiff core than Standard core. I purposely went Iconik because all the pads out now are basically straight as a board. I wish more companies had more pre-curve options. Because I want a stiff core but not a straight pad and it seems there is no inbetween that I've found. The glove on Iconik is really nice too, but I also love the Shadow glove. The blocker for me is the Shadow. Nothing really beats a Bauer blocker IMO.

As far as actual on ice performance went, the Shadows just worked better. No fiddling with strapping or weird issues. With my Iconik set there is a really grippy nash on the leg channel that was un-tying my toe ties every skate. I dabble in prolaces so I just switched to them though I prefer lace only. I could have done other mods to keep using lace but just making the point that it was a thing both I and Dudo experienced. The other thing we both had issues with on Iconiks, is sometimes the pad would over rotate and I'd land on the ice with my knee. Really only happened on stretched out saves and was remedied with modding the professor strap to turn into a solid type nylon strap that ran across the knee. This kept your knee more on the block as the elastic they provided wasn't enough at least when strapping down to calf from the knee block.

The Bauer's just work, I've said it before and for me it's just how they've always been for me. Whether in Ultrasonics, HL1, or Shadow. My only issue with them being a complete gear freak is that they also never felt super great either lol. They just existed and worked good, but I was never "in love" with them if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, Smalls said:

As someone who has used both, I'd say it depends on what you want out of the pad. The Iconiks biggest difference is gonna be the S curve. It's more pronounced on the Stiff core than Standard core. I purposely went Iconik because all the pads out now are basically straight as a board. I wish more companies had more pre-curve options. Because I want a stiff core but not a straight pad and it seems there is no inbetween that I've found. The glove on Iconik is really nice too, but I also love the Shadow glove. The blocker for me is the Shadow. Nothing really beats a Bauer blocker IMO.

As far as actual on ice performance went, the Shadows just worked better. No fiddling with strapping or weird issues. With my Iconik set there is a really grippy nash on the leg channel that was un-tying my toe ties every skate. I dabble in prolaces so I just switched to them though I prefer lace only. I could have done other mods to keep using lace but just making the point that it was a thing both I and Dudo experienced. The other thing we both had issues with on Iconiks, is sometimes the pad would over rotate and I'd land on the ice with my knee. Really only happened on stretched out saves and was remedied with modding the professor strap to turn into a solid type nylon strap that ran across the knee. This kept your knee more on the block as the elastic they provided wasn't enough at least when strapping down to calf from the knee block.

The Bauer's just work, I've said it before and for me it's just how they've always been for me. Whether in Ultrasonics, HL1, or Shadow. My only issue with them being a complete gear freak is that they also never felt super great either lol. They just existed and worked good, but I was never "in love" with them if that makes sense.

I know exactly what you mean about being in love with the pad. I really like my M5s and wish I would have pulled the trigger and got a black set when I had the chance. 

thanks for the info it’s exactly what I needed to hear. I’ve never worn Brian’s but I’ve only heard good things about them and I’ve always wanted a set so it’s more of an idea than actually liking how they feel. I know I like the supremes so the smart move would to just go with what I know I like and works