Warrior R\G7 line

Nohtaram

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
On 6/16/2024 at 9:48 PM, RichMan said:

I'm tempted to do this to my GT2s. Good or bad idea?

@RichMan I did it to my G5’s on the weekend. Used them yesterday and  I liked the freedom that it gave to my skates( Konekts). 
I’m planning on getting G7’s and did this so I could see if it would be a good choice.

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

Edited by Ross
  • Like 3

Anyone who has them or has taken note of this, how stiff is the new hypercomp knee drive? I have the old G2's (not RG2s) and they have the knee drive feature. It's nice but there is still some some flex in the knee block unlike Bauer's stableslide. From what I can see it looks exactly the same as the old. 

In the old knee drive, really the only difference is the lacing of the knee block attachment sits out about an inch off the pad so theoretically you might land just a bit of your knee on that and get less flex as your knees drive down. Stiffer but not by much.

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Anyone who has them or has taken note of this, how stiff is the new hypercomp knee drive? I have the old G2's (not RG2s) and they have the knee drive feature. It's nice but there is still some some flex in the knee block unlike Bauer's stableslide. From what I can see it looks exactly the same as the old. 

In the old knee drive, really the only difference is the lacing of the knee block attachment sits out about an inch off the pad so theoretically you might land just a bit of your knee on that and get less flex as your knees drive down. Stiffer but not by much.

Not much stiffer than previous warrior knew blocks off the shelf but I expect it'll hold that stiffness longer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was emailing their staff about it and they confirmed, it's the same sizing they've always had. They even told me, due to my 5'8 height to get the 32" and not 31 (despite having 18.5 ftk which just puts me on the 3(.  They feel the pad is more dynamic in it's strapping that it's easier to fudge between sizes on the size chart. 

3 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I was emailing their staff about it and they confirmed, it's the same sizing they've always had. They even told me, due to my 5'8 height to get the 32" and not 31 (despite having 18.5 ftk which just puts me on the 3(.  They feel the pad is more dynamic in it's strapping that it's easier to fudge between sizes on the size chart. 

I know @ThatCarGuy sized down when he had his G6's, but he also cranks down on his strapping to be very tight. So the sizing down makes sense. 

On 6/18/2024 at 9:05 PM, Ross said:

@RichMan I did it to my G5’s on the weekend. Used them yesterday and  I liked the freedom that it gave to my skates( Konekts). 
I’m planning on getting G7’s and did this so I could see if it would be a good choice.

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

I'm gonna need some green circles or something.  Please explain what you did?  Pads look good and if you did some sewing I can't tell.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I know @ThatCarGuy sized down when he had his G6's, but he also cranks down on his strapping to be very tight. So the sizing down makes sense. 

Yup currently in 32+2 G7s. In the past I used 34 G4s which felt pretty good but probably should've been in 33. 33 in G5 felt good but the thigh rises cracked so got rid of them not long after getting them. My G6s were 32+1.5. Sizing down was a must to get pads to fit how I wanted. I'm 5'11" but only with about a 19.25" ftk

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Yup currently in 32+2 G7s. In the past I used 34 G4s which felt pretty good but probably should've been in 33. 33 in G5 felt good but the thigh rises cracked so got rid of them not long after getting them. My G6s were 32+1.5. Sizing down was a must to get pads to fit how I wanted. I'm 5'11" but only with about a 19.25" ftk

dang you and me both have no shins haha. Could you get away with being 3/4" lower on the knee block? 

12 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

dang you and me both have no shins haha. Could you get away with being 3/4" lower on the knee block? 

Definitely could get away with it but I'd rather not. I like where the breaks and strapping hit on the 32s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

You're a 19.5 in a a 32"!? 

I'm a 21" in a 35" and the chart suggested a 36". That would feel too tall for me. 

As Matt Hill mentioned in his videos, the so-called professor like strap makes the pad sit higher, especially if worn tightly. Given this information, im either still a 35 and id be willing to test a 34 even.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

You're a 19.5 in a a 32"!? 

I'm a 21" in a 35" and the chart suggested a 36". That would feel too tall for me. 

As Matt Hill mentioned in his videos, the so-called professor like strap makes the pad sit higher, especially if worn tightly. Given this information, im either still a 35 and id be willing to test a 34 even.

19.25" puts me at the top of the knee block in 32 which is my preference because it helps a lot with thigh rise seal. Matt Hill cannot be trusted when it comes to sizing or spec decisions. Our CCM, Bauer, and Warrior reps at the store I work at have all said your knee should land in the top half of the knee block to ensure good stability and seal in butterfly and mobility on your feet

• Like 2

@dreadlocked1 I reduced the length of the calf wraps on both sides so that they are about the same length as the short calf wrap option on theG7. 
 Before the extended down below the boot of the pad, now they are flush with the bottom of the boot.

Will definitely go for the short calf wrap option when I order my G7’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ross Did you just cut it and add binding to hold it together?  I'm interested in doing this to my G2s.

16 hours ago, Ross said:

@dreadlocked1 I reduced the length of the calf wraps on both sides so that they are about the same length as the short calf wrap option on theG7. 
 Before the extended down below the boot of the pad, now they are flush with the bottom of the boot.

Will definitely go for the short calf wrap option when I order my G7’s. 

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

19.25" puts me at the top of the knee block in 32 which is my preference because it helps a lot with thigh rise seal. Matt Hill cannot be trusted when it comes to sizing or spec decisions. Our CCM, Bauer, and Warrior reps at the store I work at have all said your knee should land in the top half of the knee block to ensure good stability and seal in butterfly and mobility on your feet

9 out of 10 goalie gear companies, reps, salesmen(women) and coaches have always insisted that your knee should land in the middle of the block. Easier said for custom sizing of course, but nevertheless, it's a fact that I'd rather be higher than lower on the landing. This again makes me wonder about my sizing for off the shelf models. 

GOD DAMN IT!!! 

• Haha 1

@dreadlocked1 I used masking tape to mark where I wanted to cut them then I removed them from the pads and cut them. They are laced in to the pads and are relatively easy to remove. I sewed some black Jenpro on as binding. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 5:48 PM, RichMan said:

the so-called professor like strap makes the pad sit higher, especially if worn tightly. 

My Ultrasonics fit perfectly at 33". I wear a proffessor strap loosely as a stopping point to keep my leg on. 

I tested strapping it tightly and it did raise the pad up my leg so I was landing in the lower half of the block. Plus it was just too tight for my liking. 

On 7/4/2024 at 7:42 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

19.25" puts me at the top of the knee block in 32 which is my preference because it helps a lot with thigh rise seal. . Our CCM, Bauer, and Warrior reps at the store I work at have all said your knee should land in the top half of the knee block to ensure good stability and seal in butterfly and mobility on your feet

Middle to 3/4 of the way on the upper portion of the knee block is the way to go. 

I remember my test run of a pair of Mach's that came with their stock toe ties (Monster was such garbage). Since the toe ties were so tight, I was landing on the bottom half of the knee stacks and I felt like I was swimming. 

Since then, I've used Ultrasonics and another set of Mach's, both with loose toe ties settings, and they've been ideal. It's remarkable how much of a difference an inch or two will make (😎). 

Matt Hill cannot be trusted when it comes to sizing or spec decisions

I have my reservations on some of his takes as well. But this video going over sizing and factors that are changing pad fitting is correct though. 

I'm not a fan of how sizing conventions are changing generally (lol Vaughn) and I'm curious how manufacturers will change their strategy and outlook for sizing up customers as the strapping and build changes occur. 

Looks like my customs are coming in a month earlier than expected. Ordered mid May and should be getting  them Saturday. 

And of course this happens when I'm taking a couple months break from playing.

• Like 1