Vaughn V5 vs V8

pattremblay00

Daggers thrown @coopaloop1234 & @seagoal. Guess I shouldn't confess that I also went knee protection-less for a long spell. Didn't help that my pads at the time were of the narrow knee variety and all those knee pads tried were of the bulky variety. I honestly think getting used to knee pads was one of the more unnatural conversions if you are a soft/pad/tighter leg channel type tender. Then again - I had the hardest time of all switching out of my V2-ish pants (sooo broken in - had to jettison them after they basically disintegrated from FUPA to top of butt crack) out of everything so maybe I'm not the best litmus.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 2

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
6 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Daggers thrown @coopaloop1234 & @seagoal. Guess I shouldn't confess that I also went knee protection-less for a long spell. Didn't help that my pads at the time were of the narrow knee variety and all those knee pads tried were of the bulky variety. I honestly think getting used to knee pads was one of the more unnatural conversions if you are a soft/pad/tighter leg channel type tender. Then again - I had the hardest time of all switching out of my V2-ish pants (sooo broken in - had to jettison them after they basically disintegrated from FUPA to top of butt crack) out of everything so maybe I'm not the best litmus.

Fair enough.

A bad idea is still a bad idea even if you get away with it.  

18 minutes ago, chile57 said:

To be fair, we're mostly interested in making fun of SBR.

• Haha 1

I get it - who doesn't love a good old fashioned ball busting (especially when the victim is one that sits "in power" like a moderator)? I was just kidding around. I think we all know that as accepting as this board is - part of that acceptance is the "initiation" that goes along with ribbing one another.

I never claimed it was a good idea for sure - the last crippling knee shot that snuck through was most certainly the catalyst for going all in on knee pads.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chile57 said:

I get it - who doesn't love a good old fashioned ball busting (especially when the victim is one that sits "in power" like a moderator)? I was just kidding around. I think we all know that as accepting as this board is - part of that acceptance is the "initiation" that goes along with ribbing one another.

I never claimed it was a good idea for sure - the last crippling knee shot that snuck through was most certainly the catalyst for going all in on knee pads.

I didn't wear knee pads when I started and took one soft shot to the knee and immediately got knee protection.

I used thighwraps for years on my V4's and they did the job well enough. Till one time a hard shot got tipped through and found the one spot that my thigrises didn't cover and it took me a while in game before I could move normally. Shit hurt.

I've been using the Knee pads that come with Warrior pads for four years now and have zero complaints. I've probably only tested them a handful of times, but that's good enough for me to keep using them.

And SBR thinks he's in control, but truly, he does anything we tell him to do. @seagoal and I have some incredibly incriminating photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I still can't fathom how your knees survive. Any day I expect you to start a "Any tips for starting sledge hockey?" thread.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Or a "What should I do in my leave of absence from work - injury?" thread

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

"Custom Cane Thread - Used my old goalie stick!"

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

"Why My Knees Wobble: a hockey memoir by SBR"

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

"Learn from my mistake! - Reflections of a cripple"

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

To be fair, we're mostly interested in making fun of SBR.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Confirmed

I'm fucking dying :rofl: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I wear those bauer elite knee sleeves under my paw knee pads but they don’t make them anymore, would you say the mcdavids are relatively comfortable, and did you have to go a size up? weird question I know but I ended up having to do that for the bauers because the smalls squeeze my legs 

Yea they're comfortable enough.  I think I bought a medium but I think I should have went with a larger so I cane hike them up a little higher.  I have big thighs but little calves so if I don't get them high enough they start to work their way down my leg.

https://www.amazon.com/Knee-Compression-Sleeves-Basketball-Weightlifting/dp/B006INRNNU/ref=sxin_14_ac_d_rm?ac_md=1-1-bWNkYXZpZCBrbmVlIHBhZHM%3D-ac_d_rm_rm_rm&crid=173S0LIUB1DKG&cv_ct_cx=mcdavid+knee+sleeve&dchild=1&keywords=mcdavid+knee+sleeve&pd_rd_i=B006INRNNU&pd_rd_r=98afbbad-011d-4509-9997-3f298ab9db5d&pd_rd_w=4bmpI&pd_rd_wg=3mQyN&pf_rd_p=c41d1f6c-956c-4fe2-8019-1663b7e1dd23&pf_rd_r=GSAMC3C1S0P338ZPFRQG&psc=1&qid=1634757974&sr=1-2-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I still can't fathom how your knees survive. Any day I expect you to start a "Any tips for starting sledge hockey?" thread.

Anyways, back to being serious, idk.  I just never felt the need.  I can squeeze my knees enough to completely close my 5hole while I am down in the butterfly.  I've had a weird tip get through once or twice but nothing too painful.  I just don't feel the need...yet 🤷‍♂️:idk:

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Anyways, back to being serious, idk.  I just never felt the need.  I can squeeze my knees enough to completely close my 5hole while I am down in the butterfly.  I've had a weird tip get through once or twice but nothing too painful.  I just don't feel the need...yet 🤷‍♂️:idk:

Yea, it's never about the direct shots as my flare is good and I rarely Giggy-fly, it's always about tip shots and dekes.

Situations where it's harder to react to and you're already opening yourself up.

Its also about the complete lack of meat in the knee area to absorb any impact. I hobbled around for a few days each time I got smoked in the knee.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:43 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, it's never about the direct shots as my flare is good and I rarely Giggy-fly, it's always about tip shots and dekes.

Situations where it's harder to react to and you're already opening yourself up.