Brian's Optik knee pads review.

RichMan

So I bought these during the season lockdown and had a chance to finally try them out last night at my first official game in nealy a year and a half.

The other knee protection I own are the ReasonY 260 and the Bauer 1X. Why I decided to buy yet another brand/model was because of occasional bruises I was getting on my thighs.

This Optik knee pad is quite well made. I was always hesitant about these 3 piece models because they take lots of room in the knee cradle. I'm still rocking a more traditional type leg pads and well, that just how it is for now. What attracted me to this model was particularly how the plates are segmented and not a one piece half moon like structure. Given that aspect, it allows for a more narrow fit in the leg pads and in my pants all the while still wrapping my leg sufficiently to offer the needed protection top to bottom and side to side.

They are light, the velcro straps are built strong yet allow enough stretch for bending my large legs. I'm using my velcro tab garter belt that came with my Bauers to help hold them up under my uniform socks. Given how the top of the knee pads are equiped with 2 seperate small loops, I simply used a skate lace to create a bridge between those 2 loops and attach the garter strap to that bridge.

So with my set-up, the knees stayed well in place during the game and gave me no issues whatsover. I can't speak of protection as I didn't really get a shot there yet to confirm anything. My only confirmation to it's protection level is my witnessing them being the go-to choice of Kassimir Kaskisuo. For those of you who might not have heard of him yet, he was a goalie in the Leafs system and then got traded to the Preds. Now with the Preds out of contention, he was released and has now signed with a team in the SHL overseas. He's got a Youtube channel as well as an Instagram one. Had the chance to exchange with him a little and he's a nice guy.

And there you go. If you have any questions, shoot away. Please be patient with my answering time as my laptop is malfunctionning and I can't kidnap my better half's laptop everytime cause of her business duties.

Richard 

Screenshot_20210701-084008_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210701-084024_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

Got a semi-hard shot from the point on my left knee in the b-fly and I felt it, not enough to cringe or be injured but enough for it to feel like a bean your buddy would give you on the shoulder. Maybe it was the right angle, who knows. Overall I'm satisfied with them for the moment.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Do you wear yours over or under the hockey sock? Rotation is still good?

Always under the socks, with any brand or model. I did notice Kaskisuo wears them over his socks.

Rotation seems fine. Just dealing with dialling in my pads straps setup cause my knee slides off the landing during scrambling. Totally unrelated to the knee pads.

Edited by RichMan

27 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Always under the socks, with any brand or model. I did notice Kaskisuo wears them over his socks.

Rotation seems fine. Just dealing with dialling in my pads straps setup cause my knee slides off the landing during scrambling. Totally unrelated to the knee pads.

Some guys and girls have them over socks. I can’t see how that wouldn’t cause problems. It apparently works for some. Once that strapping is dailled in, you should be good. 

If the parts weren’t replaceable on my Factory Mad knee guards, I probably would have been seeking a replacement by now. Heck- only the thigh strapping has needed replacement. If I would have stayed with the Bauers I had started with and the FM didn’t exist, I likely would have tried something like these.

• Like 1