Solutions for Pant/Pad Interference

indykrap

Hey all,

Still getting used to my new Trues, but I've noticed that instead of sitting fully parallel to the ice, I'm getting the dreaded "V shape" from under rotation. I've tried multiple different strapping methods and they all seem to get the same result, but notice my pants (Large Bauer Pro) seem to push them out a bit at the top which I think is causing them to not sit flush.

Otherwise no issue with the pants and no issue with movement, so I'm hesitant to make too drastic of a change.

I tuck my chesty and wear my pants pretty high, so it may just be the length in the end. I'm 6'0 but all torso so I wear a 30" inseam pants - should I look for a smaller size or try the Warriors that are the same waist but shorter length?

For pic reference (not me):

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af287/chrisle9/2013%20Custom%20Brians%20Goalie%20Equipment/v-gap_zpsfae3a939.jpg

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You should take a photo of your current set up so we can see ourselves. 

I’ll get a photo of it at different angles (including with pads on) but here’s the chest/pants on with me standing for a sense of height. 

IMG_0089.jpeg

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Roughly yea. I'm surprised you're not noticing any issues with your knee block while standing. 

I don't think I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if I got shorter pants and felt a lot better as a result.

38 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Hey all,

Still getting used to my new Trues, but I've noticed that instead of sitting fully parallel to the ice, I'm getting the dreaded "V shape" from under rotation. I've tried multiple different strapping methods and they all seem to get the same result, but notice my pants (Large Bauer Pro) seem to push them out a bit at the top which I think is causing them to not sit flush.

Otherwise no issue with the pants and no issue with movement, so I'm hesitant to make too drastic of a change.

I tuck my chesty and wear my pants pretty high, so it may just be the length in the end. I'm 6'0 but all torso so I wear a 30" inseam pants - should I look for a smaller size or try the Warriors that are the same waist but shorter length?

For pic reference (not me):

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af287/chrisle9/2013 Custom Brians Goalie Equipment/v-gap_zpsfae3a939.jpg

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Roughly yea. I'm surprised you're not noticing any issues with your knee block while standing. 

Can you elaborate on the V shape?  Do you mean the tops of your thigh rises are not touching or overlapping so your bfly shape is like this /\ ?

If Yes, I'm pretty sure that V shape when down is aa result of feet/hips not flaring out to the sides, not under rotation or pant interference?

7 minutes ago, indykrap said:

I don't think I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if I got shorter pants and felt a lot better as a result.

I took some quick photos of where my pants sit and how my knee block and pants integrate. Not saying my set up is perfect or the only way, but this is where I'm coming from and I've never had issues across a myriad of pads. 

Keep in mind, this may not be the cause of your issue. But it is something that you could change on your set up. 

WhatsAppImage2024-10-17at10_08.33(1).thumb.jpeg.dd24c4d9c8e981ae0737df781f4ff59a.jpeg

LEgs.thumb.jpeg.9b5aef847c90bb76687a79fcca83ca64.jpeg

Edited by coopaloop1234

So, after doing some dress up in the basement and having my wife take pictures, I can conclusively say these are way too long. They definitely sit into the knee stack while standing and are pushing the pad out while in butterfly.  I’m not sure why I didn’t notice it as much of a problem but this explains a lot. 

Luckily these were just fairly cheapies I got online, so I’m going to look into a smaller set for a better fit. I’ll probably go back to Warrior but look at a medium or even small.

IMG_8111.jpeg

IMG_8116.jpeg

IMG_8114.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indykrap said:

Better pic here - I guess it just sits on top but squished down so I never noticed how much overlap between pant and knee block 

IMG_8117.jpeg

That's a big difference from the other picture that had your pants deep into your knee stack. 

Either way, your pants are definitely too big and in combination with your knee pads may be the cause of pushing your pads out a bit. 

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's a big difference from the other picture that had your pants deep into your knee stack. 

Either way, your pants are definitely too big and in combination with your knee pads may be the cause of pushing your pads out a bit. 

Yeah - thinking now I got in the habit of essentially sitting them on top of the stack for comfort, not realizing that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

I have a buddy who has a set of Warrior Medium that I'm going to try this weekend and see how that length works. I've probably been doing this wrong and using a Large for a very, very long time so it's kind of funny to think about changing.

Either way - thanks so much for the advice @coopaloop1234!

• Like 1

I have had similar issues since I just have absolutely no legs. I'm in the right size of pants for my waist and overall height but still find them to hang down too low. Does any company do custom length adjustments for the legs of their pants?

I may have to experiment with some sewing and see if I can hem them up. 

40 minutes ago, indykrap said:

IMG_8114.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, did you do some mods to the knee stack? In this pic it looks like some extra padding/layers have been added to the knee stack so that you're sitting higher or there's just more cushion - but that could definitely be contributing to your pads not sitting flat. Just a thought.

17 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I have had similar issues since I just have absolutely no legs. I'm in the right size of pants for my waist and overall height but still find them to hang down too low. Does any company do custom length adjustments for the legs of their pants?

I may have to experiment with some sewing and see if I can hem them up. 

Warrior pants only change the length when you change sizes. You can try there.

1 hour ago, indykrap said:

Also @seagoal you can see in the second pic how my butterfly opens at the top, so my pads would look like this in butterfly  

—\ / —

Got it, yep.  I see what you mean.  When looking head on from your front, your pads are being pushed out from the top so the face of the pads is not perpendicular to the ice and that creates a V shape.

Sorry, there's another way we talk about V shapes when a goalie has a narrow butterfly and the tops of the thigh rises don't close when in the butterfly, like this

782663-jean-sebastien-giguere.jpg.e62b7b09f57254bf1816329f6b06d8cb.jpg

That's where my brain went, my bad. 

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Got it, yep.  I see what you mean.  When looking head on from your front, your pads are being pushed out from the top so the face of the pads is not perpendicular to the ice and that creates a V shape.

Sorry, there's another way we talk about V shapes when a goalie has a narrow butterfly and the tops of the thigh rises don't close when in the butterfly, like this

782663-jean-sebastien-giguere.jpg.e62b7b09f57254bf1816329f6b06d8cb.jpg

That's where my brain went, my bad. 

Oh I getcha - I have a bit of that problem as well but I know that’s my own hip mobility problems, haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indykrap said:

Oh I getcha - I have a bit of that problem as well but I know that’s my own hip mobility problems, haha

yeah, I was gonna say that ain't cuz your pants are too long, haha.  I have it too, btw. 

• Haha 1

Just now, seagoal said:

yeah, I was gonna say that ain't cuz your pants are too long, haha.  I have it too, btw. 

a problem I actually have to improve my technique on and not just have an excuse to buy gear? No way. No such thing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, froese said:

Just out of curiosity, did you do some mods to the knee stack? In this pic it looks like some extra padding/layers have been added to the knee stack so that you're sitting higher or there's just more cushion - but that could definitely be contributing to your pads not sitting flat. Just a thought.

I do have a little extra added to the knee stack for cushioning, but it’s been the same problem either way with these. Fair enough though, I may see how it feels with them out. 

I just went by my local store and tried on a set of Warrior in medium. Fits really well in the waist and pretty dead on where @coopaloop1234 suggested. My buddy has the same pants in that size so I’ll try them Sunday at my game and see how it feels.

@IpaddyTECH you should definitely check them out too. I can’t fit my legs into any other brand mediums comfortably, but the length is right. Seems like it’s a good best of both worlds. 

• Like 1