NHL 24-25 Season

A.YOUNGoalie13

Starting this off with my potential trade candidates list for my Avalanche. I know it was just one game and the team struggled defensively, but Georgiev's struggles aren't new.

Gibson- When healthy can be a vezina level goalie. I get he's older now but we've never seen him behind even a half decent team really

Blackwood- Again, health is his biggest question but back in NJ he had some crazy good runs and since then he's been on terrible teams

Mrazek- Another guy running damage control, who seems to have found some consistency later in his career. He kept the Hawks in a ton of games last year

Gustavsson- Tore up the league 2 years back and his and Fleury's numbers took similar hits last season. This would make room for Wallstedt as well, but I still believe Gustafson has all the tools to be a really solid starter

Merzlikins- Also tore up the league at a time. Has had some injury troubles and again, always on brutal teams. Some defense might do him some good and a fresh start away from all the recent tragedies plaguing CBJ

Lindgren/Thompson- Whoever they need less would make room for Shepherd. Both full rights are awesome late bloomer stories. Only issue with Thompson is health

Varlamov- No matter who's coaching, Sorokin is the guy on the Island, but Varlamov has proved to still be reliable. Could make a nice reunion with the Avs

Anyway, love playing armchair gm so someone please indulge me lol. I did call the Mittelstadt trade last year haha

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

Gibson, Blackwood, Mrazek, Merzlikin, and Varlamov are all guys that you shouldn't trade for. 

Gibson is happy having zero pressure in Anaheim, Mrazek seems to do better on worse teams, Merzlikin is going to have another bad year and be out of the league, Varlamov is on the wrong side of 35 to take you far, and Blackwood has been a decent backup at best. 

None of those names instill any sort of confidence in a playoff position. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Starting this off with my potential trade candidates list for my Avalanche. I know it was just one game and the team struggled defensively, but Georgiev's struggles aren't new.

I didn't know you were an Av's fan. I've been following them since 2000 when I was a wee lad (decades before your time 😉). That 2022 run was awesome. I don't know much; I do like Georgiev's character but I think we're not cup contenders without some improvements. Although, was Kuemper really all that much better? Maybe a little? It seems to me we're a team that doesn't lean heavily on good goaltending but high octane offense. Personally, as a goalie, that's not my favorite kind of team to watch but it is what it is right now. 

55 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I didn't know you were an Av's fan. I've been following them since 2000 when I was a wee lad (decades before your time 😉). That 2022 run was awesome. I don't know much; I do like Georgiev's character but I think we're not cup contenders without some improvements. Although, was Kuemper really all that much better? Maybe a little? It seems to me we're a team that doesn't lean heavily on good goaltending but high octane offense. Personally, as a goalie, that's not my favorite kind of team to watch but it is what it is right now. 

I agree except that with Nichuskin Lehkonen and Landy they’re contenders again, they’ll just need better goaltending since the D core is weaker than 22. This goalie wouldn’t need to last 5 years, just until Annunen can take over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

I  Although, was Kuemper really all that much better? Maybe a little? 

I'd argue he was, prior to his eye injury. 

Georgiev has some OK stats despite playing behind some power houses, Kuemper never got that opportunity as he's historically played on some awful teams and still is ahead for overall stats. 

But I've always had a soft spot for Kuemper. 

@netminder would be proud. 

• Like 1

Montenbeault and Hellibuck (spelling??) Both off to a strong start with shutouts 😎

Has the Swayman contract been delt with? He started against my Habs yesterday. 

Will Utah be this year's Cinderella story since they now have an official home?

Will this be MAF'S official last season? 😔

Will Toronto fix their goalie situation, finally?

Lots of questions. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

Montenbeault and Hellibuck (spelling??) Both off to a strong start with shutouts 😎

Has the Swayman contract been delt with? He started against my Habs yesterday. 

Will Utah be this year's Cinderella story since they now have an official home?

Will this be MAF'S official last season? 😔

Will Toronto fix their goalie situation, finally?

Lots of questions. 

Swayman signed 8 years 8.25 aav

• Like 1

Screwed here in Chicago...pissing match between the Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks and Comcast TV about who pays what and to whom for their games. For now at least, we're back in the no TV days of Dollar Bill Wirtz re Blackhawks' games. 

From the pieces here and there I've seen on NHL Network, Sam M has looked good for Club de Hockey. Leafs? Puh-leeze, the last good goalie they had was either Palmateer or Potvin. Sorry Leafs fans (I am one) but is anyone ever going to make that job his?

2 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Screwed here in Chicago...pissing match between the Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks and Comcast TV about who pays what and to whom for their games. For now at least, we're back in the no TV days of Dollar Bill Wirtz re Blackhawks' games. 

From the pieces here and there I've seen on NHL Network, Sam M has looked good for Club de Hockey. Leafs? Puh-leeze, the last good goalie they had was either Palmateer or Potvin. Sorry Leafs fans (I am one) but is anyone ever going to make that job his?

My parents are buddies back home have been watching the Hawks games. Its a free channel you should be able to watch on local tv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Thanks but I would have to get an antenna for the free TV broadcast and disconnect the so called smart tv. I was turned onto a streaming channel in a very dark corner of the web but at this point in the season, not ready to risk a computer problem.

That's strange, we have YouTube tv and all smart tvs and my parents are tech dinosaurs so I wonder how they figured something out.

4 hours ago, Fullright said:

I’d argue Cujo and Belfour were pretty good for the Leafs. Otherwise, every organization seems able to develop elite goalies except for the Leafs and Oilers. Maybe Woll and Skinner will be those guys finally. I do think Skinner has grown and showed high level play at times last playoffs. If Woll gets healthy and gets some reps maybe he’ll have success. Stolarz is a solid vet that can hold down the fort and provide guidance to a young goalie. As much as I like rooting for the underdog, I’m amazed the likes of Pickard and Campbell even sniff NHL minutes. They look like beer league goalies when they play. 

• Like 1

@A.YOUNGoalie13: could be geographical too. Chicago's 2nd game was on NHL Network but it was still black out in my area.  

@WillyGrips13: I had forgotten about Cugo and Ed (where didnt he play after leaving Chicago?). It just seems to me that for such a bedrock franchise there hasnt been anyone in a long time who did it for 10 to 14 years. The Leafs should have such a goalie. I've thought the team has had a few guys who looked like they could do it but became very ordinary after a year or two.