Difference Between Bauer's Custom Hyperlite 2 vs. 2XPro Thigh Options?

Smalls

So I'm going through the customizer trying to order a new set and I'm going with a Supreme pad but with some Vapor stuff on it. My goal is to get as much of an "S" curve out of the Shadow chassis up top as I can, and the options for the thigh descriptors are slightly confusing. I don't have the worst butterfly but I'd love some more help sealing that up so idk if I should be going with the HL2 option which says "Soft S Shape" or the 2xPro which says "Best for narrow butterfly". Seems confusing as idk what the profiles actually look like and they both sound like they do the same thing?

Pics for reference.

image.png.3a800e78c6f56d614368a3b3dd8b8301.pngimage.png.9a79ae58c282aed20249348680bc4b8f.png

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
19 minutes ago, Smalls said:

So I'm going through the customizer trying to order a new set and I'm going with a Supreme pad but with some Vapor stuff on it. My goal is to get as much of an "S" curve out of the Shadow chassis up top as I can, and the options for the thigh descriptors are slightly confusing. I don't have the worst butterfly but I'd love some more help sealing that up so idk if I should be going with the HL2 option which says "Soft S Shape" or the 2xPro which says "Best for narrow butterfly". Seems confusing as idk what the profiles actually look like and they both sound like they do the same thing?

Pics for reference.

image.png.3a800e78c6f56d614368a3b3dd8b8301.pngimage.png.9a79ae58c282aed20249348680bc4b8f.png

That sounds to me like there isn't a difference in the default shape but a difference is how soft it is.  Imagine leaning forward with your elbows, it sounds like there is a difference is how much the thigh rise will give in and move down towards your leg.  

I'm not really sure how much relevance softness will have in sealing a 5 hole in a butterfly, though.  Thigh rises don't move in a butterfly, they just take whatever is their default shape when we are down.  In the old days, we could use thigh straps and crank them tight to force a curve to the middle when down but that is obviously not in play these days. 

Those diagram pics look identical to me in terms of the default shape so I'd think it's just a matter of how much squish there is going to be in any scenario when you're exerting downward pressure.....or I guess if you're playing at a high level and taking really hard slap shots that could move a thigh rise on impact. 

Yeah I just got clarification from Jay at TGC and he said what you said basically. It's same shape, just difference in softness. The pics made sense to me and stiffness made sense to me but the descriptions saying one is better for narrow butterflies is what threw me off.

As far as your points about not helping with sealing the butterfly idk about that. If one has more of a pre-curve at the knee and up I do think it can help those with a narrower fly. I see where you're coming from but I've been in straight leg pads and in ones with S curve and my butterfly never changed, yet the S curve was much easier to seal.

6 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Yeah I just got clarification from Jay at TGC and he said what you said basically. It's same shape, just difference in softness. The pics made sense to me and stiffness made sense to me but the descriptions saying one is better for narrow butterflies is what threw me off.

As far as your points about not helping with sealing the butterfly idk about that. If one has more of a pre-curve at the knee and up I do think it can help those with a narrower fly. I see where you're coming from but I've been in straight leg pads and in ones with S curve and my butterfly never changed, yet the S curve was much easier to seal.

S curves help if that is the default shape, yes.  I was just saying softness doesn't help since there is no force pulling/pushing on a thigh rise in a butterfly.  If two pads have the same exact shape but one is made of concrete and the other is made of cotton candy, they still seal the same in a butterfly.  

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

We're on the same page

Yep! I just didn't trust the pictures to represent what the actual shape will end up being. I know some brands changing a pads stiffness can alter the profile of the pad so wasn't sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Yep! I just didn't trust the pictures to represent what the actual shape will end up being. I know some brands changing a pads stiffness can alter the profile of the pad so wasn't sure.

Seems like the best option is a pad made of concrete but locked in a dramatic S curve.  That's the ticket for narrow butterfly goalies. It's difficult nowadays knowing what we know about slides and such that there is any benefit to soft pads beyond preference or comfort. 

The only time we exert pressure down on our thigh rises, if at all, is upright on our feet with our hands or arms.  I guess a caveat is pucks from shots, but even that sorta helps make my point anyway. 

Edited by seagoal

48 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Seems like the best option is a pad made of concrete but locked in a dramatic S curve.

For me, this was the Brian's Iconik in Stiff Core. The stiff core had more S curve oddly enough compared to the Standard core which was straighter. My issue was in other areas with the set.