John’s game footage

johncho

On 10/18/2024 at 5:16 PM, Fullright said:

I couldnt make it through the whole video; got to about 16:18. Perhaps try and shorten them?

Thank you so much for taking the time to watch and the analysis. 

First and foremost, you are pretty observant as I have been fiddling a bit with my glove position in my stance. I think I have found the right level plane for me as I brought my hands down a little bit, which goes with my stick positioning as well. I will work on the outwardness a tiny bit.

Sometimes, like at 16:05 I know I could have definitely gained some depth as the shooter was beyond the hash and I was a bit off angle (too centered). However I was also scared to not have my feet set in time before his shot. I read the play late. My lack of endurance was a factor too, I let nothing in in the first half and let a lot in in the last 10min.

I'll try to shorten a bit, I think 10-15min is a better duration. Maybe I could do two edits, one general play and one condensed for analysis.

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
On 10/18/2024 at 2:16 PM, Fullright said:

I couldnt make it through the whole video; got to about 16:18. Perhaps try and shorten them?

I think you played great! Very compact and steady. No happy feet. In other words, you looked settled and ready. In your stance, perhaps keep your glove outside the plane of your torso. Not referring to fingers up, down or whatever but you got that gigantic glove so keeping it a little more outside your torso, how ever you hold it, might minimize available net to the shooter. I also think you can "telescope" out a bit more when they are dropping the puck from the goal line up to the slot. You stay in the paint but I think you can get the toes of your skates to the outer crease arc. You're big enough however that it isnt really an issue until the opposition shoots a bit harder and more accurately. I think you're correct about keeping the blade 90 degrees to the puck. It is like the eyes: body will follow. Pretty great glove save too on the one time in the slot! Really good rebound control. I dont think any bad rebounds during the 16 mins I watched. 

I'll try and fish out my copy of "Goaltending" by Plante. He wrote about how to minimize the net and smoother the angle as the skate tries to drag you across the net. If I recall correctly, he wrote about not backing in as the skater moves across but to actually stay out. I'll try and post pics of the pages here. Just food for thought.

Good work!

2 hours ago, johncho said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to watch and the analysis. 

First and foremost, you are pretty observant as I have been fiddling a bit with my glove position in my stance. I think I have found the right level plane for me as I brought my hands down a little bit, which goes with my stick positioning as well. I will work on the outwardness a tiny bit.

Sometimes, like at 16:05 I know I could have definitely gained some depth as the shooter was beyond the hash and I was a bit off angle (too centered). However I was also scared to not have my feet set in time before his shot. I read the play late. My lack of endurance was a factor too, I let nothing in in the first half and let a lot in in the last 10min.

I'll try to shorten a bit, I think 10-15min is a better duration. Maybe I could do two edits, one general play and one condensed for analysis.

Some quick notes between work emails.

Agreed with @Fullright here re: glove positioning, it looks a little tight to the body.  A good reference point I like to use is to have the thumbs line up outside of where your shoulder floaters end. 

RE: the Plante/cross-crease scenario - I've always been taught to let the shooter lead play. Allow the shooter to gain a little bit of angle on you (roughly somewhere between shoulder and sternum of the direction you're going) - you're kind of baiting them to continue going toward the boards.

I caught about the first 15 mins, depth looks fine given that your D seems to leave people unattended near the far side posts.  May have been a couple straight shots with no garbage man around the crease where you could have gained some depth. 

Good work!

• Like 2