John’s game footage

johncho

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
16 minutes ago, johncho said:

Condensed pickup footage - game was a bit faster than normal/expected.

I welcome all tips/comments to get better.

Sick jersey!  You have a good foundation.  Team black pretty much stoped supporting you for a solid 7 or 8 of these.

A couple things I noticed that may help-

1. You tend to favor your left leg when you recover
  2. When gaining depth, you tend to challenge in a crescent instead of a straight line forward (may also be the angle of the camera?)
    1. Sidebar to this, you tend to pivot your entire body when you need to stop your forward momentum; this takes your frame off-square.  Pivot your leg instead.
    2. You get beat clean on straight shots a few times, I think this may be the culprit
  3. When the puck moves laterally, you tend to slide into lanes.  Work to get your head and hands on angle first - assess the threat and if you have the time get there on your feet.  You have more time than you think!
  4. For a couple of these goals, you could have challenged more.  Toes on crease or heels on crease - generally don't need more than that.
  5. Also noticed when following the puck around the zone, you tend to drift into lanes.  Do you use any type of rink landmarking system?
  • Like 1

I think just being a little more patient on your edges would pay dividends.  On many of the goals you seem to be moving and don’t have your feet set as the shot is released.  It’s a struggle that works itself into my game, as well - I’m always giving up depth or making adjustments when I don’t need to be and get beat as a result.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Sick jersey! 

🥰

18 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:
  1. You tend to favor your left leg when you recover
  2. When gaining depth, you tend to challenge in a crescent instead of a straight line forward (may also be the angle of the camera?)
    1. Sidebar to this, you tend to pivot your entire body when you need to stop your forward momentum; this takes your frame off-square.  Pivot your leg instead.
    2. You get beat clean on straight shots a few times, I think this may be the culprit
  3. When the puck moves laterally, you tend to slide into lanes.  Work to get your head and hands on angle first - assess the threat and if you have the time get there on your feet.  You have more time than you think!
  4. For a couple of these goals, you could have challenged more.  Toes on crease or heels on crease - generally don't need more than that.
  5. Also noticed when following the puck around the zone, you tend to drift into lanes.  Do you use any type of rink landmarking system?

1. Definitely - I try to break this habit in practice, but it hasn't broken yet.

2. I am a dolt and put the camera off center, but I do arc to the challenge - I not only pivot my whole bottom half like a lazy susan, but I also favor my left side to stop (this comes from being a RHD for most of my life), I am working on that foot only stop. My coach did tell me that yeah I need to be set and ready.

3. What do you mean by sliding into lanes? Am I lazily moving into the angle? Should I be T-pushing all the time? A couple of times when I slid into the pass or on that 2 on 0 especially, I thought to myself "Oh damn I should have stayed on my feet.

4. I am actually surprised that I was out a bit more than what I used to do. But that is good to know, I will work on that.

5. Please could you elaborate, should I be looking at the lines and positioning in that manner? Am I getting lost in the angles?

Thank you very much for watching and commenting. 😃

27 minutes ago, sescaro said:

I think just being a little more patient on your edges would pay dividends.  On many of the goals you seem to be moving and don’t have your feet set as the shot is released.   

Yes absolutely agreed. I will work on this.

22 minutes ago, johncho said:

3. What do you mean by sliding into lanes? Am I lazily moving into the angle? Should I be T-pushing all the time? A couple of times when I slid into the pass or on that 2 on 0 especially, I thought to myself "Oh damn I should have stayed on my feet.

I'll let Chenner correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he's saying that you're instinctively trying to slide into position instead of engaging your hands and eyes and making a decision from there. 

The one and only goalie camp I went to, my instructor used me as an example for the rest of the group as my first reaction post save was to lock eyes on the puck and move my hands/arms towards where the puck is before making a move. 

Instead of immediately sliding over, assess the threat and see if you actually do have time to t-push over or if you do need to slide over. That second you can gain while T-pushing into the lane instead of sliding makes a massive difference once you're able to fully incorporate it into your game. It's strikingly effective. 

5. Please could you elaborate, should I be looking at the lines and positioning in that manner? Am I getting lost in the angles?

He's mostly stating that you're not planted/on angle as it moves around and you float with the puck. Which I don't blame you since it's fucking pickup. My habits die hard when I'm doing drop in hockey. 

Typically you should be making incremental adjustments as the puck goes around the zone. Whether that's T-pushes, shuffles, minor C-Cuts to gain/remove depth, etc. but these movements should be quick, sharp, and steady so that it allows you to maintain a ready position for any incoming shot. 

Being floaty, by nature, just means you're trailing where the puck is and that can lead to delays on making saves. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

[…]these movements should be quick, sharp, and steady so that it allows you to maintain a ready position for any incoming shot. 

Being floaty, by nature, just means you're trailing where the puck is and that can lead to delays on making saves. 

Quick, Sharp, Steady

This is a good mantra for me to use; I used to use Patience, Compact, Good Push.

My Goalie coach did tell me during last practice to not slow down to the speed of the puck to follow the puck along the way to the shooter (hard to explain that one). He said, assess the trajectory and where the shooter is, then get to it before the puck reaches the shooter. Then you have him dead to rights.

8 minutes ago, johncho said:

Yeah, I should probably have explained more but have a tendency to write too much.

A couple plays going cross-crease, it looks like you blindly slid to where you anticipated the pass to end up.
You probably used your peripherals to identify the threat - but it is better practice to get eyes on stick blade, hands, and then body will rotate.  You can execute a clean, on-angle push from there. 

Yeah, so in general rinks are pretty similar in dimensions.
You can ask your coach to help you understand the 45s; in essence you are landmarking your crease as there are a few areas where it directly corresponds to where the puck is in your zone. 
The biggest benefit to this is as the play moves around the zone, you may lose your posts.  Finding them again based on these markers is really helpful!

Most obvious one is center ice, that's top of the circle.

If you are centered and at a 45 degree angle where the hash meets the vertical line, you should be lined up with the corresponding face off dot.
If your left foot is on the left hash, you should be lined up to where the blue line meets the boards.
Right foot on left hash is between faceoff dot and bottom of circle (you can give up depth here)
Once puck goes below the bottom of the faceoff circle, you should be on your post.

image.png.4b62765faf8de8dbeb6b8501a9a9be58.png

Next, as the puck is worked deeper in the zone to the goal line, you need to prioritize that short side post a little bit more - it may be a low percentage play for the shooter, but it is really the only net access they have, you can shut down virtually all far net access with some aggressive hand positioning
You can lose some squareness in anticipation of a lateral pass (helps you rotate quicker to be square to the new lane).

(credit to Pasco Valana for image below)

image.png.29a34c4a402aa53889d1c830f8dfb970.png

Finally, now that you have an idea of the 3 zones of the 45 and the RVH area, you've effectively landmarked 85-90% of your crease and only need to manage shots from the wide center ice area (which your team should be helping you box out anyway).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'll let Chenner correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he's saying that you're instinctively trying to slide into position instead of engaging your hands and eyes and making a decision from there. 

The one and only goalie camp I went to, my instructor used me as an example for the rest of the group as my first reaction post save was to lock eyes on the puck and move my hands/arms towards where the puck is before making a move. 

Instead of immediately sliding over, assess the threat and see if you actually do have time to t-push over or if you do need to slide over. That second you can gain while T-pushing into the lane instead of sliding makes a massive difference once you're able to fully incorporate it into your game. It's strikingly effective. 

He's mostly stating that you're not planted/on angle as it moves around and you float with the puck. Which I don't blame you since it's fucking pickup. My habits die hard when I'm doing drop in hockey. 

Typically you should be making incremental adjustments as the puck goes around the zone. Whether that's T-pushes, shuffles, minor C-Cuts to gain/remove depth, etc. but these movements should be quick, sharp, and steady so that it allows you to maintain a ready position for any incoming shot. 

yes to both of these

To your bolded comment:

image.png.5ad02a77551ae775d694fdafae62a374.png

You're good and your skating is strong.  The comments from the fellas above are correct. From my point of view, just a few suggestions and they are details. I have never had good luck using landmarks in that some rinks have the rings and lines placed a little differently. Perhaps before coming out, tap off on your posts with your glove and stick handle. Like the others mentioned, try to come straight out rather than in an arc. You're big enough to get away with it but when sharp shooters see an inch, they'll exploit it. The sliding shows your aggressiveness which is great but try to calm it down some. With your size and skating, you do have more time than you think. You have a good glove; in your stance, try and keep it out beyond the plane or to the side of your torso. Lastly, keep your stick down please. When you move across the net, your blade tends to come off the ice. Keeping your butt down as you move will help. These are little things that will make it easier for you.

Stop using VH or RVH during warm ups - it will reduce shots to your head (dayuuuummm, they shot a lot at your melon) but warm ups are just survival anyways. :)

Very cool to share your film!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Next footage - a lot slower than the other game - mostly novice players (super nice guys though). It was also quite unbalanced. I faced a lot more shots and I was pretty tired by the 2nd half. I started messing around a bit and even did a 2 pad stack at one point.

Two things I immediately noticed is that slower shots are a lot lower than how I’m used to tracking so I missed a few gloves, that and VH seems to work really well vs lower level.

I still have the same bad habits but I really tried to come out square for the most part.

Oh and also shots from former ringette players are really hard to track, the puck stays on their stick while it’s in the air, like a weird lacross shot.

Again, comments and suggestions on how to improve are always welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 2

Hi @johncho:

So I watched the video. Nice job coming out in a straight line! 

Only details I saw was left leg dominance on recoveries and your stick blade coming off the ice. The recovery deal didnt lead to any goals that I saw. I think the stick blade issue cost you only one. Be careful with less fast players; you can develop habits that can carry over to faster and more skilled players.

Great job!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fullright said:

Hi @johncho:

So I watched the video. Nice job coming out in a straight line! 

Only details I saw was left leg dominance on recoveries and your stick blade coming off the ice. The recovery deal didnt lead to any goals that I saw. I think the stick blade issue cost you only one. Be careful with less fast players; you can develop habits that can carry over to faster and more skilled players.

Great job!

Yes, I know that stick issue and I know the exact goal lol. I will have to really work on that. I thought of your prior comment right away after the goal.

My left leg dominance is I think my worst issue that I'm trying to resolve right now. Both for stopping and for recoveries. I know a big part is because I am right side dominant when I turn or stop or when I play, or shoot. I will have to remind myself tonight again. I wonder too if it's because left side I am usually clear, whereas right side I have to lift my stick out of the way? Either way I have to work on that. 

One more thing that I have to work on is to not tripod too much with my paddle going down whenever I slide to the right, I'm giving up too much at the top.

• Like 1

The leg thing is an easy fix. Just get reps using the right leg even off the ice. It will help. I have/had to work on my left leg. Once you do it properly on the ice a few times appropriate for the leg, it will sink into your DNA. The stick thing implicates the paddle length you like, the lie you like, and your stance which is really hard to tell from the view looking at your back. Again, nothing more than reps. Now, being all of 5'6", I cant "feel you" about top of the net. :).  Easy fix with your height: keep your chest up as much as possible when you go down whether in butterfly or paddle down. With your torso and arm length, you're fine. You're quick enough so keep your chest up and you'll cover plenty of net and your glove/blocker will be able to grab shots outside of the plane of your chest. 

You got plenty of skill to play against fast and skilled players. Try to get as much of that as you can.

• Like 1

Last night I played a faster pace, gave up like 5 but only 1 didn't go off my own D haha. No clean beats is what I aim for right now.

No footage, but I worked on getting my stick down a bit more when in the ready stance in the 2nd half and it really helped a blocker save as I just had to move it to the side, rather than having it first face the shooter and down and out.

I'm having trouble moving with it down at the moment, I'm using a 26" paddle, but even then it feels like I have to crouch a lot more than I'm used to. But I will get used to it. 

One coach that I worked with was in the Q/OHL and he said not to worry about my stick float as long as it comes down proper on the ice when I butterfly, he stressed movement above everything else. But the other coach that I am working with currently was in the CCHL and he said to try to keep it down as much as possible. 

• Like 1

Yes, there's all kinds of theories about this stance, the other stance, and that stance. These distinctions border on distinctions without differences. Being an old fart, we are either set or not. My only point about it is when a goalie plays with fast guys who keep their heads up at all times, they'll see whether the goalie is set and take advantage accordingly. I wouldnt dwell on it. It's not like a big flaw in your game; you really dont have any. Just an important detail to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I tried shuffling more than T-pushing last night. Keeping my stick and blocker facing downward better allowed a couple of nice saves. 

I was lucky and my Ds were strong - only one allowed that didn't make it on film as I tried the 60fps setting and it ate up the battery quick.