Pad Sizing Help

indykrap

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on pad sizing and taking measurements, as I've felt a little over- and under-whelmed by the info that's out there.

Using the the advice from InGoal, I have measured myself at a 18.5" ATK and 20" FTK, and I'm 6' tall. I also have a slightly odd build where I'm a lot more torso than leg, but I'm not sure if that factors in here. Based on sizing charts that puts me in a 33" CCM or 34" Brian's/Warrior/Vaughn.

However, in the past I've comfortably worn:

• 34+1 CCM EFlex 1
  • 34+2 CCM Premier 2
  • 35+1.5 Warrior G3 and G5 (my current set, which I land comfortably centred on the knee landing)
  • I also briefly had a set of Bauer 3X in Medium (34+1) that fit too small.

Any tips or suggestions on sizing or measuring tips? Or am I (as per usual) overthinking this, and should stick with what works. I have my eye on a used 35" Brian's Optik2 MAX set on SLS and a 34+2 Iconik set (new), so I'm not entirely sure where to go. The second set is local so I can at least try that on.

Side note: So we don't get buried in requests like this, does it make sense to have a megathread?

Edited by indykrap

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

I have similar proportional measurements to you - 6'1, 20.5 FTK, and I also have a longer-ish torso. This past year I was in an eflex 6 33 +1.5 and they fit perfectly. The newer pads are not like the eflex 1 or Premier 2, so if you were comfortable in a 34 in those models, in my mind that only confirms CCM's sizing chart telling you that a 33 is right for you.

I think you're on the right track. I was looking at the official CCM sizing charts from 2013 (EFlex1) and they have not changed with the 2024 sizing charts (Axis XF). But in my experience, the newer CCMs fit a little bigger than the numerical size indicates when compared to older models, likely because of the flat boot. I myself have gone from a 34+2 EF1 to a 33+2 Axis 2 and just recently got a 32+1.5 Axis XF. I'm about 5'10 with a FTK of around 19 or 19.5. Knee sizing seems OK on the XF (only skated twice).

Unfortunately can't help much with Brian's - not much interest from goalies in these parts so don't have much experience fitting them.

It also seems like there is a trend to size down to smaller pads (knee hitting above center in the knee block) for greater mobility and thigh rise to ice seal. Not saying this is a good trend necessarily but I've heard some good things, and I intend to try it with my next set. Ultimately, do whatever works for you of course. 

3 hours ago, indykrap said:

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on pad sizing and taking measurements, as I've felt a little over- and under-whelmed by the info that's out there.

Using the the advice from InGoal, I have measured myself at a 18.5" ATK and 20" FTK, and I'm 6' tall. I also have a slightly odd build where I'm a lot more torso than leg, but I'm not sure if that factors in here. Based on sizing charts that puts me in a 33" CCM or 34" Brian's/Warrior/Vaughn.

However, in the past I've comfortably worn:

• 34+1 CCM EFlex 1
  • 34+2 CCM Premier 2
  • 35+1.5 Warrior G3 and G5 (my current set, which I land comfortably centred on the knee landing)
  • I also briefly had a set of Bauer 3X in Medium (34+1) that fit too small.

Any tips or suggestions on sizing or measuring tips? Or am I (as per usual) overthinking this, and should stick with what works. I have my eye on a used 35" Brian's Optik2 MAX set on SLS and a 34+2 Iconik set (new), so I'm not entirely sure where to go. The second set is local so I can at least try that on.

Side note: So we don't get buried in requests like this, does it make sense to have a megathread?

Are you sure about your measurement ? i have 17.5 ATK and 20.5 FTK. most of the time the atk and ftk follow everyone. 

I will talk for myself but with my 20.5 FTK i fit well with 33+1 iconik. sizing is similar of medium bauer. also everything depend of your technique and mobility

Did some sizing in a shop and tried a few pairs on, and looks like I'd be comfortable in:

• 34+1 or +2 Brians (I tried a FLX core Iconik)
  • 34+1 True, which surprised me - I might lean towards a +2 on those though
  • Large Bauer Hyperlite, which instantly felt good and re-energized my frustration at myself for the failed Medium experiment, hah

Now to mull it over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, indykrap said:

Did some sizing in a shop and tried a few pairs on, and looks like I'd be comfortable in:

• Large Bauer Hyperlite, which instantly felt good and re-energized my frustration at myself for the failed Medium experiment, hah

Now to mull it over.

Go with what you feel comfortable with size-wise. I am about the same height as you, but wear longer pads because I have longer legs than my torso. I wear Bauer XL pads, because I kept falling off the top of the block with L pads. 

19 hours ago, indykrap said:

Now to mull it over.

I measure slightly bigger than you, and I am in between Bauer Mediums and the Large. I feel like I could get away with a Large and I might try that next. If Bauer had +2, I would get a Bauer Medium +2 for sure. One thing that I do new now is that I add a bit of lace slack to my elastic toeties which make the pads sit a bit lower. 

I tried a True for an impromptu off ice fitting with store skates (not mine) and no pants (no slack in the toeties), and I was def not a 34, I think I was more of a 33. 

Edited by johncho

Yeah this stuffs a little inconsistent. 

My ATK is 17.5-18

FTK is about 22

6 feet tall and in a bauer 3x large 35+1

My knee lands in the center. I recently added extra length in my toe ties which seems to make my pads slide down my skate more so they sit lower and im at the top of the knee block. Then when i butterfly, the pads ride up and seal my 5 hole and give me a fake butterfly flare. 

It feels like they're too big but i land in the center so i guess that's good. 

• 2 weeks later...

After trying on a bunch of different sets I landed on a 34+2 True set that I got off Sideline. Knee seems to land pretty solidly in the middle of the block, though I still have to get used to FRS strapping after using the extremely simple Warrior strapping for years.

knee2.jpg

knee1.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

9X3 at 32 will be the same as a Small Bauer (33). 

You'd want a 31 9x3 to match your Hyperlites. 

I am currently in 32+2 9X3s that are slightly big in the knee and thigh rise. It's really odd because I just had Canadian made custom L12.2s at 32+1.5 which were perfect. Not sure why the knee fits differently. I've tried senior small Bauers on before and they felt a bit big. I guess X-Small Bauer is my best bet.

17 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I am currently in 32+2 9X3s that are slightly big in the knee and thigh rise. It's really odd because I just had Canadian made custom L12.2s at 32+1.5 which were perfect. Not sure why the knee fits differently. I've tried senior small Bauers on before and they felt a bit big. I guess X-Small Bauer is my best bet.

I know the 12.2's and 20.2's had different sizing charts, not sure how that carried over to the PX3/4, but True at one point did have two and that may be a clue as to why you're sizing different. 

Though you'd assume the PX3 line would measure the same as the 12.2 since they're the in the same family.