True 12.2 - 580 repair

johncho

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

So some initial questions:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johncho said:

So some initial questions:

an autopsy will show. but I think that you are very lucky that you can buy most things for replacement, unlike us with ArdeFIN

I will follow your thread. don't hesitate to ask. I will help with all I can

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ser33 said:

an autopsy will show. but I think that you are very lucky that you can buy most things for replacement, unlike us with ArdeFIN

I will follow your thread. don't hesitate to ask. I will help with all I can

Thank you so much.

My biggest hurdle is that I don’t have a sewing machine, I will think of what I could do. If I prepare the pieces I could find a tailor maybe.

As @ser33 said we'll find out when you open it. 

Propably, but hard to tell from the angle of photo, you'll need new thumb plastic. Could be broken at the end of thumb, and also the usual place where the wrist strap is. That corner which isn't held with thumb seems to be somewhat off which hints there is broken plastic inside.

Finger plastic is good but can be a bit cut in two at the boot where there is that small worn area.

Nice quessing game here 😁

If you can prepare good jenpro patches and nylon if needed, then cobbler is the professional you need to sew them together.

The T will be a problem unless you find a good cobbler and you can make good enough parts and dismantle it enough. 

These are terrible to repair without sewing machine, hats off to @ser33 for hand sewing these.

Wish I could get a few of these repairable 580 models to here as we have a huge demand and almost no offerings. I don't think it is any better for most of us but as it is so praised everybody wants to have one to try.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Ok the glove was delivered early and it’s in pretty decent shape. It closes very nicely.

To my delight, there’s no crunch or unexpected movement with the plastic which leads me to believe that it’s in decent shape. The finger curl looks worse however and the smell is substantial. The cut to the T probable means that I will have to open it up to fix it. Good news is that I found someone who might be able to sew for me. I read up on bonded nylon thread so that’s what I will have to order soon along with the Jenpro pieces. Also looks like I need both black and white nylon laces.

There’s also some more superficial damage to the nylon parts that I will have to figure out.

Since the glove is in pretty decent condition, I might play a pick up game with it tonight before it gets disassembled.

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

• Like 2

Just had my game with it and it’s an interesting glove. I like a lot of different parts of it. 

For Plays that were in close, a lot of shots that were close to the left of my body were just sucked into the glove. But some far reaches that I was doing to get a stoppage were missed, including ones down low. It hangs off the hand effortlessly but it felt wet and heavy like the old CCM gloves. If G7.1 is similar to this, then I know what my next glove is.

Now off to disassembly sometime this week. I just got a source on a small bit of D3O so I’ll see once it comes if it’s big/thick enough.

• Like 1

I took a lot of pictures of the disassembly but as it went on I got less and less confident that I will get this back together again. Nevertheless here I go.

So let’s have a look at the damage and see.

5 main parts, the T, the palm plastic, the big cut at the fingers, the finger plastic curl, the felt

First the T. Should I just glue it? Looking at it, it looks like all the material is there to hold.

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

2nd problem, the palm plastic.

It is broken, not shattered though. It holds but will shatter if I don’t address it.

Should I order a new plastic or use baking soda + crazy glue to fix it?

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

3rd problem, the big cut

This is the worst looking problem and yet the most straightforward one to answer, looks like I need a curved strip, sew it on, cut off the excess and then sew on the protective edge piece

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

5th problem, was the felt cut?

It almost looks like the protective felt was cut at the back? If so, then how could I add some material at the back? Probably why I felt that one stinger on my fingers

IMG_5524.jpeg

it all depends on what level of final quality you want to achieve. so you either seal the T or make a new piece. The thumb plastic is definitely a replacement, gluing is a “sell and forget” option. the plastic of the palm, if it is intact, just bend it with a hairdryer. the felt on the palm is the right size, that’s how it should be. your sting is because it is already flattened, add foam to it, as ArdeFIN does. the thin foam on the outside of the plastic primarily protects the skin from tearing. if you can’t replace it, then nothing bad will happen without it

On 7/24/2024 at 3:04 AM, ser33 said:

it all depends on what level of final quality you want to achieve. so you either seal the T or make a new piece. The thumb plastic is definitely a replacement, gluing is a “sell and forget” option. the plastic of the palm, if it is intact, just bend it with a hairdryer. the felt on the palm is the right size, that’s how it should be. your sting is because it is already flattened, add foam to it, as ArdeFIN does. the thin foam on the outside of the plastic primarily protects the skin from tearing. if you can’t replace it, then nothing bad will happen without it

I think I will glue the T for this time and monitor that.

I think maybe I am using the wrong term, but the thumb plastic is intact, the curved one that rests on my palm is the broken one. I messaged the place that could sell it but they are sold out for now. I’ll try using a plastic welding technique that I used in the past to fix ABS plastic, just to see. I was thinking of laying down some Kydex material overtop to strengthen? It’s pretty thin so it might still fit in the place of that flimsy foam. The finger plastic I will flatten with a gentle heat gun.

I will add some foam once my foam piece comes in.

Now I must think about that nylon, maybe pantskinz? At least to cover the nameplate.

The whole thing is being washed right now. Quick Oxybath to get the majority of the grime off, vinegar bath, and now disinfectant wash. 

IMG_5539.jpeg

• Like 1

you and I are talking about different things. The plastic of the palm is the part where the felt is sewn. and the plastic of the thumb is the largest piece from which the foam came off. As far as I saw from your photos, the plastic of the palm is intact but slightly bent and the plastic is large split. you can, of course, try to glue it together, but personally I’m very skeptical about this, believing that it won’t last long

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

you and I are talking about different things. The plastic of the palm is the part where the felt is sewn. and the plastic of the thumb is the largest piece from which the foam came off. As far as I saw from your photos, the plastic of the palm is intact but slightly bent and the plastic is large split. you can, of course, try to glue it together, but personally I’m very skeptical about this, believing that it won’t last long

I was confused because there’s another piece of plastic that covers the thumb that’s not pictured (it is intact and in excellent condition).

On 7/24/2024 at 3:04 AM, ser33 said:

the plastic of the palm, if it is intact, just bend it with a hairdryer

How flat should it be? should it have a graceful curve at all?

How many feet/cm of Braid Nylon lace would I need as an estimate?

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 10:03 AM, ser33 said:

you can, of course, try to glue it together, but personally I’m very skeptical about this, believing that it won’t last long

This is the method that I was looking into (if I can't source the plastic replacement, as Fixmygear.com is all out of this plastic for now) and then once done, laying down a layer of Kydex plastic over top of it and drilling for holes

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

Hello, from my experience superglue will not last long. Some time ago I wanted to try refurbish my own glove, it was Bauer Supersonic and the plastic was broken too. I used the method from this video (from 3:20) and I can say, that the repair was sucsesfull. But your plastic is more broken that was mine. But you can try or combine with superglue with baking soda method. It is cheap and if you will not sucseed, you can try something different. Fingers crossed

Edited by kohula
  • Thanks 1

My D3O sheets came. Is this perforated version okay?

Should I affix it to the grey area only or the little white area as well? Looks like I have enough to cut into three pieces to cover the grey and white area. Seems like one is enough to almost cover all of the grey area, but not well.

Should I remove the existing padding or just add to the top of it (grey/white section)?

Should the middle part of the hinge be left free of 3DO to help closure? There’s not much padding there at the moment as there is already a hard plastic piece (with the 4 holes).

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

To make closing easier, make it segmented into three parts. cover the entire gray area on the thumb and break. be sure to close the break - this is the most painful place! on my upgraded V3 glove I got bites there. on the palm of your hand, cover the entire area up to the holes in the plate

I would try to cover the areas circled with green. Thumb side is cut short but you can add material towards wrist too. It's not an area where you get stingers usually, so it's not that much of a use.

On the finger side cover all the area your fingers are on, and nothing else. The else is just, well useless.

In the break area, leave good gaps to keep the glove easy to operate. Remember that puck isn't very small, while the corner of the puck can definitely pinch you through a smallish gap.

After you get the pieces cut and attached you try the "closure" with the added padding. If it is resisting then cut excess to help it.

image.thumb.png.a96d042c86991a941b969e416e4a8745.png

When you get into putting everything together, remember to check the closure and operation multiple times and notice that the basic jenpro and padding should not be stiff at all if everything is right.

Don't route the wrist strap nylon through the thumb plastic, only through the nylon and if you want then through styrofoam. If possible add a sheet of plastic with similar cutouts that are on the thumb plastic to support the nylon strap. This will help you keep the thumb plastic alive for extented period.

Welding might work if you get all cracks welded throughly to the ends. I don't believe in glue at all with these plastic types as these are "greasy" and most of the glues will not attach at all. Superglue will not, I use PE sheet pieces to protect clamps and to mold the piece being glued with superglue. 

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a bit of time off on this, as my source for black jenpro is out of stock atm and I might wait for the plastic. 

I did get some hooked leather needles and proper nylon bonded thread. I might practice on some spare leather to get used to it.