Concussion in Bauer 960 - replace?

RecoveringGoalie1

Hey all,

I received a grade 1 concussion last week from a wicked shot from the top of the circle that caught me perfectly square on the chin - you can see the chip and puck marks about an inch up from the bottom of the mask. My ears were ringing, I lost balance and fell over, but there was no pain during or after around my jaw/mouth/teeth. No strap popped, the mask didn't turn and was snugly strapped, I did not hit my head on the ice (video shows I landed on my shoulder from the butterfly position) the foam still has plenty of give in it, and the mask is only 3 years old.

I'm honestly shocked that a shot to the chin that didn't result in severe pain in the face/jaw (anywhere physically for that matter) could cause a concussion, especially while wearing a 960.  I'm debating as to whether I should pick up a new 960 to be safe and if I'm missing anything obvious?

IMG_2373.thumb.jpg.0b7644212c4e8462916a0afed3d58d6c.jpgIMG_2374.thumb.jpg.72a1c6d98da78546fa071aec54cb0148.jpg

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

No mask no mater the fit, foam, or make up will ever prevent or stop a concussion. They are trying to make them now but its still a long ways off from something that will 100% stop you from gettting a concussion. I own 2 custom fit Protechsport and one Lundqvist Bauer Pro 960 mask. As long as there is no serious damage to the chin area the mask should be fine. As you said a fluke shot that hit it perfectly, it's not something that is going to happen ever game. The mask did the job of protecting you.

Edited by Snowman30
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Toobs said:

Do you wear a mouth guard? If not chances are you got the concussion from your teeth slamming together after the shot hit your chin. No mask is gonna prevent that.

So I wear a mouth guard now too, because the theory that it helped got disproven awhile back, but then that theory just got disproven recently. So in the end, it might actually help guard against concussions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johncho said:

So I wear a mouth guard now too, because the theory that it helped got disproven awhile back, but then that theory just got disproven recently. So in the end, it might actually help guard against concussions.

To me, might is enough to get my to do it.   There's almost no downside to a mouthguard at the level I play at, so why not.  It's not as though beer league defensemen are great at taking direction from their goalie anyway...

5 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

To me, might is enough to get my to do it.   There's almost no downside to a mouthguard at the level I play at, so why not.  It's not as though beer league defensemen are great at taking direction from their goalie anyway...

Agreed, and I’ve also seen some goalies get their teeth damaged from collisions. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Ended up upgrading to the 2024 960, any excuse will do after all, and was curious if anyone can recommend a cat eye cage replacement that ships to Canada? I've been using non-certified cat eye cages from GoalieParts.com, but I do find I bend 2-3 cages a season which is adding up cost wise.

Any other cat eye providers out there that would fit a 960 that would be recommended?

Will write up a review of the 2024 960 once I get it on the ice a few times.

Edited by RecoveringGoalie1