After 10 years in Pro/Custom Level Gear How is Axis F9 Going to Compare?

Smalls

So like the title states, I've been in pro/custom level gear for about 10 years now, and never used a Senior level set in that time period. But I'm interested or curious about trying a CCM Axis F9 set simply due to the fact that it's in stock with my colorway and no custom processing wait. I play medium to high level beer league against some ex-pro/college guys 1 to 2 times a week.

Any insight maybe from some of you that have been through something similar? Did you regret it? What worked, what didn't?

My most recent sets in the last few years for reference have been Bauer Shadows, Brian's Iconik, True PX3, Warrior G6 Pro, Bauer Hyperlite, Bauer Ultrasonic. Last CCM pad I was in was EF4.

Edited by Smalls

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

For beer league, I'm sure the gear will be fine, but the biggest thing would probably be that you will find it break down a lot faster than pro gear will. Also, depending on the shooters (which seem higher level), the glove protection may not be at the level you desire. 

So while the gear should work well for you at first, I don't think it will work out long-term and last like a pro set would. 

Edited by creasecollector
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, creasecollector said:

For beer league, I'm sure the gear will be fine, but the biggest thing would probably be that you will find it break down a lot faster than pro gear will. Also, depending on the shooters (which seem higher level), the glove protection may not be at the level you desire. 

So while the gear should work well for you at first, I don't think it will work out long-term and last like a pro set would. 

He's been with four set in last two years, so I don't think durability is an issue. Protection, durability, performance etc should be ok , of course pro gear feels better and sturdier but mostly it's gonna be a mental thing.  

I've been using senior level pads/blocker for upper level beer league and have been fine. I don't think I'm playing with players AS good as you are, I get mostly ex junior/ college players but some of the older beer league guys can still shoot it. I have not once found myself saying if i had pro level gear I would have made that save or been protected more. With that being said I do use a "pro" level catcher. I've been using Bauer M5's for little over a year now playing 1/2 times a week and they are holding up fine. My use of pro level gear isn't as extensive as yours but personally I've found the pro level gear I've used and the senior level gear, excluding catchers, are pretty much the same.

Devils advocate for everyone who is saying pro level will last longer. Yes it will last longer but you are spending half the price of a pro set so if the senior pads do break down in a couples years you can buy another set of the latest and greatest and still break even...roughly. I still yern for a set of custom Brian's but with the level and frequency I play senior gear leaves me a lot more money in my pocket and i get the same amount of game time with either.

7 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

He's been with four set in last two years, so I don't think durability is an issue. Protection, durability, performance etc should be ok , of course pro gear feels better and sturdier but mostly it's gonna be a mental thing.  

Yeah lol, I should have said durability isn't much of a concern as I clearly have an addiction issue with gear 😂. I usually like trying various styles of pads and then moving on to whatever comes out next. There really isn't a true "soft" pad anymore so I was also thinking maybe the Senior level of gear could provide me with that softer feel but with some modern tech in the pads.

I did reach out to my drug dealer goalie set supplier Jay at TGC about this since he knows my addiction well (too well) and he said the F9 stuff actually has nice gloves for once for senior level stuff. That's my biggest worry with the set really, the glove protection. But he said overall the set would be a bit softer than pro obviously but his endorsement made me pull the trigger. Also I didn't buy them through him so there should be no salesman bias there. So maybe I will update this post when I get them on the ice a few times or make a new thread with my findings for others in the same boat. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the replies!

14 hours ago, creasecollector said:

2 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

With that being said I do use a "pro" level catcher. I've been using Bauer M5's for little over a year now playing 1/2 times a week and they are holding up fine.

Senior level gear with a Pro catcher is probably the best cost effective mix of gear.  I don't think I could play with a senior level glove anymore, blocker and leg pads would be fine though. 

In saying that, I haven't worn Senior pads/gloves since my RGT1 set. So it's been a minute. 

30 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Senior level gear with a Pro catcher is probably the best cost effective mix of gear.  I don't think I could play with a senior level glove anymore, blocker and leg pads would be fine though. 

In saying that, I haven't worn Senior pads/gloves since my RGT1 set. So it's been a minute. 

This is what I do because I'm certainly not good enough to tell how a Pro level set of pads would feel over the Senior level of pads that I use. But I can definitely feel pain through Senior level catcher. 

4 minutes ago, johncho said:

This is what I do because I'm certainly not good enough to tell how a Pro level set of pads would feel over the Senior level of pads that I use. But I can definitely feel pain through Senior level catcher. 

You can feel the difference in a blocker as well, it's just that the protection level of senior blockers are fine for every day beer league. 

Leg pads are brand/line specific for the differences.

Ex: Warrior. The biggest difference you're getting is the rigidity in the thighrise. The E+ and now "Pro" line aren't hypercomp reinforced and are much more malleable. 

Bauer has some core differences, but the big changes are the CORTECH skin vs typical jenpro on the senior lines. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You can feel the difference in a blocker as well, it's just that the protection level of senior blockers are fine for every day beer league. 

Leg pads are brand/line specific for the differences.

Ex: Warrior. The biggest difference you're getting is the rigidity in the thighrise. The E+ and now "Pro" line aren't hypercomp reinforced and are much more malleable. 

Bauer has some core differences, but the big changes are the CORTECH skin vs typical jenpro on the senior lines. 

Oh yeah I should have added that I once got a bruise through a blocker board once, which was eye opening (and eye welling because I'm a big wuss).

24 minutes ago, johncho said:

Oh yeah I should have added that I once got a bruise through a blocker board once, which was eye opening (and eye welling because I'm a big wuss).

I got a few too in my SR gear. But that was because the plastic on my blocker blew apart right across the back of the hand. Luckily I only had to suffer for a few weeks before I got my RGT2's. 

20190509_113947(2).jpg.b4abe07978885e1134ca57250fc1f9e5.thumb.jpg.f3a4a9200966ace5a7e54654a50238cb.jpg

On 7/15/2024 at 9:50 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

From the product descriptions I've seen you're right about the X5 pad having mostly jenpro, but it does have cortech on the sliding calf plate, and the M5 supposedly is all cortech. 

12 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

From the product descriptions I've seen you're right about the X5 pad having mostly jenpro, but it does have cortech on the sliding calf plate, and the M5 supposedly is all cortech. 

M5 is kind of odd. It is their cortech skin, but it has sew lines for the graphic all over. I'm not sure if they do the same heat molding process as they do for the Pro lines. 

Capture.JPG

20231113_121012.jpg

On 7/16/2024 at 11:28 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

M5 is kind of odd. It is their cortech skin, but it has sew lines for the graphic all over. I'm not sure if they do the same heat molding process as they do for the Pro lines. 

Capture.JPG

20231113_121012.jpg

I think you're right. Purehockey said all cortect, but I double checked it on Bauer and they only said Cortech slide plate. Looks like they're both jenpro with cortech on the calves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this. Used the new set 3 times now.

First impressions are actually really solid! Glove which was the biggest worry is great out of the box. No stingers yet and pretty nice closure. I'm coming from a 580 so if you have done the same you'll know it's odd to look at the 590 closure in your hand and not be a little weirded out lol. I'll try to get some pics and vids here soon to add to the post. Pads are pretty light and seem to have a bit more torsional flex as you'd imagine from a lower than pro level pad and I kind of like it. Fairly stiff upper thigh though in comparison. Weight wise, they are just as light as any of the other pro pads I've been in. Somewhere between Bauer Shadows and Warrior G6's.

I can definitely see/feel some of the cheaper materials in various places. Glove closes easy, like almost scary easy lol but like I said no stingers yet so an easy closing glove is a good thing. But I wonder if that means it's gonna break down quick? Time will tell. The blocker, where the palm attaches to the board, it kind of has less rigidity and you can feel it sort of dig into the side of your palm late in a game when it's sweaty. Not like unbearable or painful but you can feel it and it's uncomfortable a little. This might break in better in time.

The strapping is identical to the pro version. Even includes the new hybrid push laces that I've been wanting to try and those work great. Props to them for also having a metal eyelet on the elastic part so that it can't be pulled through with a knot like many others you can. Looking at you Bauer.

Pic of the set for reference, like I said I will try to get more pics here this week of the stuff after a few skates. 32+1.5, 590 Glove.

451440259_409860228755585_2444732657826546516_n.png

• Like 1