Time for new gear - need some help

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here.  Other priorities etc.  Anyway, my pads and gloves are getting worn down.  I'm looking for some new gear, but I need some help.

I spent about 2 hours at Pro Hockey Life today just trying on pads.  I put on Brian's, True, CCM, Bauer and Warrior.  The Brian's were okay, they felt really tight and rode high on the skate.  The True were a rats nest of straps - too frustrating, I didn't even get them all the way on.  CCM, the straps were in weird locations, some difficult to reach.  The Warrior were pretty nice, but the knee stack area was so big it interfered with my pants going down and getting up.  The Bauers were the best of the bunch, but I still left with nothing.  I liked the Hyperlites, but a bit too much $$.  I tried some GSX, decent in a senior 33" (I think that is x-small?).  Best 5-hole closure of them all.  They still felt "tight" though even with adjusting the straps to their loosest. 

They felt like a compromise quite frankly, and since this is likely the last set I'm going to ever buy, I don't want "enh good enough".  I want to have a matching set (for once!) and the  Bauer GSX gloves in senior size felt WAY too small.

I currently have Bauer Supreme One80 pads.  They've been fine but I can't push to my right anymore without the pad rolling over onto it's face or it sticks and I start rolling over.  My Passau gloves are still great, but the blocker palm is wearing out and the trapper is showing its age.

Does anyone have a recommendation for OTS gear that will has a wide leg channel, simple straps and covers the 5-hole nicely for someone with a narrow b-fly and is very adjustable?  I am aiming for a double-T catcher. 

Maybe I'm being too picky?  Perhaps once the gloves wear in they won't be so tight?  Should I just go straight to a custom set aka Passau/Brian's et al?

I'm looking to stay around $2000 Cdn for the set.

Thanks!    

• Like 1

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

I would buy some warrior g6 from the hockeyshop.com and call it a day.  

anything new is going to feel weird and differenct so get over it.

wearing it in store is diff then in the store and on the ice.

warrior is best price at ur budget new.

5 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here.  Other priorities etc.  Anyway, my pads and gloves are getting worn down.  I'm looking for some new gear, but I need some help.

I spent about 2 hours at Pro Hockey Life today just trying on pads.  I put on Brian's, True, CCM, Bauer and Warrior.  The Brian's were okay, they felt really tight and rode high on the skate.  The True were a rats nest of straps - too frustrating, I didn't even get them all the way on.  CCM, the straps were in weird locations, some difficult to reach.  The Warrior were pretty nice, but the knee stack area was so big it interfered with my pants going down and getting up.  The Bauers were the best of the bunch, but I still left with nothing.  I liked the Hyperlites, but a bit too much $$.  I tried some GSX, decent in a senior 33" (I think that is x-small?).  Best 5-hole closure of them all.  They still felt "tight" though even with adjusting the straps to their loosest. 

They felt like a compromise quite frankly, and since this is likely the last set I'm going to ever buy, I don't want "enh good enough".  I want to have a matching set (for once!) and the  Bauer GSX gloves in senior size felt WAY too small.

I currently have Bauer Supreme One80 pads.  They've been fine but I can't push to my right anymore without the pad rolling over onto it's face or it sticks and I start rolling over.  My Passau gloves are still great, but the blocker palm is wearing out and the trapper is showing its age.

Does anyone have a recommendation for OTS gear that will has a wide leg channel, simple straps and covers the 5-hole nicely for someone with a narrow b-fly and is very adjustable?  I am aiming for a double-T catcher. 

Maybe I'm being too picky?  Perhaps once the gloves wear in they won't be so tight?  Should I just go straight to a custom set aka Passau/Brian's et al?

Thanks!    

If you liked the Bauers look for the X5 pros. Thats the second price point version of the hyperlites. Goaliesplus makes special color editions and stuff if you’re into that, so does source for sports stores. Otherwise just about everywhere has all white! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I own a Bauer X5 pro blocker and I can say I do have doubts about it's longevity as the build quality is very low. I've compared it to another goalies senior level Warrior g6 gear and the Warrior gear is much better quality, even hard to tell apart from my pro Warrior glove. Just my two cents, ff you're looking for something to last awhile, go with pro gear if you can (Canadian is best). But if budget is a constraint (which is is for me), look at Warrior, and maybe Brian's senior level gear. I read here somewhere the other day that Brian's senior gear is very nice compared to the rest, which really shouldn't be a surprise.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my X5 blocker. It's the lightest thing I've ever worn and it fits tight and feels balanced with a great aggressive curve to it. My only gripe is the thumb piece doesn't give much which makes stick handling tougher. I'm hoping that will break in over time. 

Edited by IpaddyTECH

19 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Thanks!    

Check out a Vaughn Velocity V10 leg pad, it sounds like it would check all your boxes. The matching V10 catcher has a double-tee as well.

Thanks fellow tendies.  I checked around today for some Vaughn stuff, but stock was extremely limited and nothing in my size (like either 30" intermediate or 36" senior).  

I got a good deal on some Bauer X5 pro pads and gloves.  I liked the feel of the gloves and the pads felt similar to the GSX but should be a little longer lasting.  

It will take some time to figure out where I want the straps, but from a quick tryout I have good 5 hole closure and the pads stay upright instead of folding over - major upgrade over my ancient pads!

• Like 2