CCM EF6 vs Axis XF Pro comparison

Madmedic6

Just thought I'd show off a little side by side comparison between the two line for anyone interested. That being said, this won't be a apples to apples comparison as the pads are custom spec and the gloves aren't the original line breaks. 

Pad builds:

Both pads are built similarly 

Single internal/single external break

Loose fit 2 calf straps 

Fixed below knee strap

Soft boot with no boot strap. 

Xf pro - 32+2.5 infinite rebound core

Ef6 - 33+2 maxrebound core

Blockers:

Loose fit

Straight finger

Gloves:

Single t

Pro palm

Both are identical besides the graphics .

Now. Out of the boxes and with a few wallsits upside down the XF pros have a better precurve and maintain it longer than the ef6. I won't get to use the xf's until next week so I can't comment on how they slide or how rebounds are yet, but I will make note after a few skates next week. 

Side note: if you order a lose fit with 2 calf straps you will receive leather straps with vinyl color sewn on them. Qk5 wasn't an option even though I've been told by the CCM rep that leather straps were being phased out. Also if you order a 32 (Intermediate Sr the outter calf elastic is 3" shorter than that one the 33" pad.)

Blockers:

Out of the box the ax feels fantastic. The palm is soft and mobile and actually somewhat loose compared to the "lose fit" ef6 that I have to pry off sometimes. The addition of the elastic in the wrist cuff compared to the all Velcro is a nice touch. The xf sidewall has a straight cut off where the ef6 will walk back out towards the thumb. 

CCM please make the cross form strap a custom on all glove angles!!!!! 

PXL_20240619_162058843.jpg

PXL_20240619_162121380.jpg

PXL_20240619_162331516.jpg

PXL_20240621_133112639.jpg

PXL_20240621_133218266.jpg

PXL_20240621_133239152.jpg

PXL_20240621_133230304.jpg

PXL_20240621_133352145.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

Hope you enjoyed the new gear! I'm ordering a new set this week and was leaning EFlex 6 but am second guessing myself with new Axis XF Pro. One big thing I'm curious about is how much stiffer does the XF feel than EF6 when you're on the ice moving around, despite being the same breaks in and out? It's probably going to be my last set and want to get it right. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 12:33 PM, Madmedic6 said:

Just thought I'd show off a little side by side comparison between the two line for anyone interested. That being said, this won't be a apples to apples comparison as the pads are custom spec and the gloves aren't the original line breaks. 

Pad builds:

Both pads are built similarly 

Single internal/single external break

Loose fit 2 calf straps 

Fixed below knee strap

Soft boot with no boot strap. 

Xf pro - 32+2.5 infinite rebound core

Ef6 - 33+2 maxrebound core

Blockers:

Loose fit

Straight finger

Gloves:

Single t

Pro palm

Both are identical besides the graphics .

Now. Out of the boxes and with a few wallsits upside down the XF pros have a better precurve and maintain it longer than the ef6. I won't get to use the xf's until next week so I can't comment on how they slide or how rebounds are yet, but I will make note after a few skates next week. 

Side note: if you order a lose fit with 2 calf straps you will receive leather straps with vinyl color sewn on them. Qk5 wasn't an option even though I've been told by the CCM rep that leather straps were being phased out. Also if you order a 32 (Intermediate Sr the outter calf elastic is 3" shorter than that one the 33" pad.)

Blockers:

Out of the box the ax feels fantastic. The palm is soft and mobile and actually somewhat loose compared to the "lose fit" ef6 that I have to pry off sometimes. The addition of the elastic in the wrist cuff compared to the all Velcro is a nice touch. The xf sidewall has a straight cut off where the ef6 will walk back out towards the thumb. 

CCM please make the cross form strap a custom on all glove angles!!!!! 

PXL_20240619_162058843.jpg

PXL_20240619_162121380.jpg

PXL_20240619_162331516.jpg

PXL_20240621_133112639.jpg

PXL_20240621_133218266.jpg

PXL_20240621_133239152.jpg

PXL_20240621_133230304.jpg

PXL_20240621_133352145.jpg

Benefits of the straight finger vs curved on the blocker? I'd always get it curved. 

I also don't understand why some get a single break outer role on a stiff pad. I think it just defeats the purpose of the pad, stick to eflex. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982
  • Haha 1

Have you used anything by Bauer?   The CCM knee stack feels like it has so much more give to it than even the Bauer StabilFlex knee.   To be fair, I've only seen EF 6 in store once and XF hasn't made an appearance at any place I've been yet, so most of my impressions are from handling 6.9 gear, but it feels like the in increase in stiffness over my EF5 stuff is marginal at best.  

On 7/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, BK11 said:

Hope you enjoyed the new gear! I'm ordering a new set this week and was leaning EFlex 6 but am second guessing myself with new Axis XF Pro. One big thing I'm curious about is how much stiffer does the XF feel than EF6 when you're on the ice moving around, despite being the same breaks in and out? It's probably going to be my last set and want to get it right. 

I really can't tell much of a difference. But I will say they Ef6 is ever so slightly softer of a pad. 

On 7/8/2024 at 1:40 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Benefits of the straight finger vs curved on the blocker? I'd always get it curved. 

I also don't understand why some get a single break outer role on a stiff pad. I think it just defeats the purpose of the pad, stick to eflex. 

The benefits of the straight are that the strait finger won't interfere with the paddle as much. I find that it sits nicely against the stick paddle and has no gaps. 

On 7/8/2024 at 1:40 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Single break will allow for more flex for those who want a stiffer pad but had a more limited hip mobility like myself. 

On 7/8/2024 at 10:24 AM, Puckstopper said:

Have you used anything by Bauer?   The CCM knee stack feels like it has so much more give to it than even the Bauer StabilFlex knee.   To be fair, I've only seen EF 6 in store once and XF hasn't made an appearance at any place I've been yet, so most of my impressions are from handling 6.9 gear, but it feels like the in increase in stiffness over my EF5 stuff is marginal at best.  

I have used the hyperlite 2 for a short time and I didn't really care for them. I'd say the knee in the CCM has slightly more flex than the Bauer. 

14 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I have used the hyperlite 2 for a short time and I didn't really care for them. I'd say the knee in the CCM has slightly more flex than the Bauer. 

Did you manage to wrap the pad around your skate? The new toe bridge bungee lace is terrible, I used it last night. I prefer the regular one. 

21 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Did you manage to wrap the pad around your skate? The new toe bridge bungee lace is terrible, I used it last night. I prefer the regular one. 

I actually like the new toe ties as I just switched back to laces from pro laces. And they work pretty well with my one piece skates with a little bit of adjustment

3 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

I actually like the new toe ties as I just switched back to laces from pro laces. And they work pretty well with my one piece skates with a little bit of adjustment

Ya it's not bad, I just might have to cut the lace in half lol