Old School goalie needs help

Bigfreeze

Hi all, I'm currently trying to get back into playing hockey. I've been out of it for around 13 years. The last time I played, Reebok, Koho, Itech, TPS and Nike were all players in the equipment world, now it seems everything has consolidated. I grew up playing in the early 90s, so I'm your classic standup, early butterflyish kind of goalie. My issue is finding some pads that work for me. In the old days I used everything Heaton, everything Brian made was awesome. I had some Helite 4's that lasted forever. The last time I played they still made Hybrid pads, which were an ok compromise, I used a set of Koho 580s which worked pretty good, then I tried a set of Velocity clones from Battram which I didn't really like. I really don't like the feel and stiffness of the new pads.

So I think my option is to find used pads, the problem is most of what I find is pretty well worn because they are 10+/20+ year old pads. Most of the stuff that I find in good shape is small sized. I'm a 17" ATK, usually wore around 34" 35" pads. Does anyone know of a place that can rebuild/refurbish old pads, or a good place to find old gear in good shape. I would be happy if I could find some BHG Eyelites, Heaton 10s, Koho 580s, Brodeur Heaton 4s or 6s. 

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

Give Facebook a look as well, not just the market place but actual groups that are established for gear sales, swaps and such. There's a lot of 90s stuff out there in very decent shape. Some groups are local and some are international. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, Vintage Goalie Equipment on Facebook has plenty of options for you. If you didn’t like an early Velocity clone, you’ll probably hate everything new. So going older-style used is the way to go. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and find “New Old Stock (NOS)”, which means older gear that never was used. Sideline swap and eBay have plenty of older gear you might like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1