Need help deciding between Bauer hyperlite 2 and the CCM pro spec chesty

Hi Everyone,

I need some help deciding on a chest protector.  I’m coming from a Vaughn SLR2 with a beefed up package.  It’s been good except I find the chest floater extremely big and limit my mobility.  The protection has been pretty good with some bruises here and there.  I would prefer something a bit lighter. I’m looking to purchase the new CCM Pro spec chesty or the Bauer Hyperlite 2 chesty.  I like the idea of the CCM chesty because of the protection and streamlined shape of the chest floaters but I’m really worried about mobility and weight. I like the idea of the Bauer chesty because it’s light but the Bauer chest floater seem pretty wide as well.  I’m not worried about the durability.  I tired on the Bauer without the supreme arms and it felt good but the shoulders caps seemed huge. Which one would you pick?

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

I use the hyperlite 2 and absolutely love it. It’s super lightweight and mobile. The protection probably isn’t as good as the CCM, I’ve gotten a couple stingers off the biceps from really hard shots. That said, I’ve heard the CCM is heavy and can feel bulky.

Just comes down to what you want… being absolutely bulletproof at the expense of some weight and mobility, or do you want to be super lightweight and mobile?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Toobs said:

I use the hyperlite 2 and absolutely love it. It’s super lightweight and mobile. The protection probably isn’t as good as the CCM, I’ve gotten a couple stingers off the biceps from really hard shots. That said, I’ve heard the CCM is heavy and can feel bulky.

Just comes down to what you want… being absolutely bulletproof at the expense of some weight and mobility, or do you want to be super lightweight and mobile?

Thanks for the response!  Did you get the beefed up arms and still get stingers?  I’m looking at the one with beefed up supreme arms.  How are the shoulder floaters?

Edited by Desert Tendy

I have been using a hyperlite 2 chesty for ~9 months and it was great until one of the arms ripped off last night.....  the way the arms are attached(velcro loop through some plasticy material) is not very good.  Looking at getting the CCM one now.

I'd go for the ccm pro spec. With the protection being sub par on Hyperlite 2 and the fact that 8 of the 9 Hyperlite 2 chests we've sold at the store I work at have come back with an arm ripped off, I'd rather take my chances with the ccm

5 hours ago, Telfo said:

I have been using a hyperlite 2 chesty for ~9 months and it was great until one of the arms ripped off last night.....  the way the arms are attached(velcro loop through some plasticy material) is not very good.  Looking at getting the CCM one now.

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'd go for the ccm pro spec. With the protection being sub par on Hyperlite 2 and the fact that 8 of the 9 Hyperlite 2 chests we've sold at the store I work at have come back with an arm ripped off, I'd rather take my chances with the ccm

Did they revert that braindead move on the Shadow? Or are they sticking with those flimsy tabs for the sake of easy in manufacturing?

Cheap buggers. 

17 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

Thanks for the response!  Did you get the beefed up arms and still get stingers?  I’m looking at the one with beefed up supreme arms.  How are the shoulder floaters?

I love the shoulder floaters, good coverage and no interference. I have the stock hyperlite arms. I had the supreme (Mach) arms on my previous hyperlite chesty, and honestly I prefer the hyperlite arms. Better mobility. If I was ordering again I’d go with beefed up hyperlite arms just for a bit more padding.

FWIW I haven’t had any durability issues with the arms, but I do know it’s an issue.

Id also recommend looking into the Vaughn slr4, it’s got solid protection but still a bit more mobility compared to the CCM.

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Did they revert that braindead move on the Shadow? Or are they sticking with those flimsy tabs for the sake of easy in manufacturing?

Cheap buggers. 

Yup they're sticking with it they're actually sewn between bindings this time though so it should hold a little better

• Like 1

I've had about a month of games 2-3x per week with my CCM Pro chest (the new one that just released) and I cannot say enough good things about it. I definitely prefer it to my beefed up Bauer Pro Series chest that I'd been using prior (which I preferred to the Bauer hyperlite with beefed up arms prior to that).

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, Teezle said:

I've had about a month of games 2-3x per week with my CCM Pro chest (the new one that just released) and I cannot say enough good things about it. I definitely prefer it to my beefed up Bauer Pro Series chest that I'd been using prior (which I preferred to the Bauer hyperlite with beefed up arms prior to that).

this is good to know. I have been in beefed up hyperlites for the last few years and am making the switch to the CCM. My only worry has been the mobility.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, Teezle said:

I'm using the Bauer Pro Series too and other than the usual belly sides getting caught on the pants after a scramble, as all c/a do when tucked, and maybe the shoulder tabs which I think are too damn thick, I've been liking mine a lot, stupid arm mobility and good coverage. But I also have been eyeing the new CCM and I would like to hear why or what makes you prefer it over the Bauer one?

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:50 PM, RichMan said:

I'm using the Bauer Pro Series too and other than the usual belly sides getting caught on the pants after a scramble, as all c/a do when tucked, and maybe the shoulder tabs which I think are too damn thick, I've been liking mine a lot, stupid arm mobility and good coverage. But I also have been eyeing the new CCM and I would like to hear why or what makes you prefer it over the Bauer one?

I wear my C/A untucked and the way the Bauer Pro Series narrows at the bottom makes it more ideal for tucking. The CCM Pro has a better body shape for wearing it untucked. I always felt like I was pulling it apart at the bottom getting it to stay over my pants. Also I like the way the side and rib protection feels on the CCM Pro compared to the Bauer one.

Edit: one more thing - the backplate of the CCM one is very breathable, whereas the Bauer is a solid piece of plastic/hard foam at the back. In Texas it is hot even inside the rinks, so the CCM one keeping me a little cooler is much appreciated.

Edited by Teezle