John Brown Retirement

Snowman30

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
Posted (edited)

Sad to see a staple go but happy the classy gent gets to enjoy retirement. Mr. Brown was always super prompt, pleasant and helpful in my dealings with him.

Certainly doesn't read like the brand is carrying on to me.

Edited by chile57

Posted (edited)

John made so much more than "Retro Pads" but, granted, BROWN gear has been instantly recognized since the last Leafs Cup (he started out making custom masks).

I got to meet John as his business was 10 minutes away from our Son's place and I am a gear whore (there I said it - don't feel any better, or worse). My final set of BROWN gear was a gift to myself, a sort of "this should last me until I can no longer do up my own pads.......".  I went for it all, pads, gloves, C/A, pants (which bothered John to make because I wanted to try "trim" pants, smaller than standard, perhaps helping me to be more mobile. He hated the idea, always believing that "make them big as you can, covers more area."

John is a long, lean man, enjoys pedalling his race bike through the wilds of Collingwood and many associated higher altitude levels. Long may you ride John Brown and thanks again.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 4

As I was getting into retail, it seemed like he was just getting out.  IIRC Beezer was his last guy in the NHL.  I think once he retired, Brown pulled his NHL licensing and retail affiliations along with it.  Besides his chest pads, I never saw his gear in person when I became a fully fledged goalie gear junkie.

There were rumors he was going to sell the business and retire as far back as the 2000s.

I went on a crazy chest and arm hunt for the better part of two years in the early 2010s. 

Hit up John once, he was super responsive and respectful over email.  We chatted a teeny bit about what it was like building chesties for Hasek and Roy.

Didn't end up making the purchase with him, and I'm kind of regretting it now.

• Like 1

I was pretty young when this happened but I think Beezer retired with the Devils then came back the next year for 5 games with blacked out logos. Zak Bierk wore a set of unbranded Brown pads the next season. But I’m going to say Sébastien Charpentier in Washington was the last guy to wear brown gloves and pads in the NHL. Please prove me wrong, if I am. 

The Chest piece went on to live in the NHL up until recently. 

6 hours ago, RedX said:

The Chest piece went on to live in the NHL up until recently.

From my knowledge and Brown’s Instagram the only NA goalie in the top leagues that uses his chest now is Colin Delia, and idk if he still does but MAYBE Samsonov still, cause he used it with the caps. 

Damn, I was looking at getting a Brown only reason I didn’t was price and that I found an unused pro stock chest I liked better

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

They were doing a lot of business with pros in Russia.

I’m still waiting with bated breath to hear whether the company will continue on or if it’s a wrap. He didn’t exactly make that clear in his statement. 

You can still order on the website, so I wonder if it will carry on with family members. I think generally it was just a retirement post for him. Least I hope so. Glad I pulled the trigger on a unit from him this year. 

Posted (edited)

I think generally it was just a retirement post for him."

Hell no. If you had ever spent some time with John at the shop your statement would be hastily withdrawn. His staff was not large but every time I dropped by, even without advanced notice, the Boss was in. 

Like all of you, I have no idea what the future has or hasn't for Brown Hockey Gear so I reiterate "Thanks John for insisting upon a high standard in goalie gear being available for pros and the rest of us." He has been up against the Big Boys since the 90's when the NHL suddenly demanded a yearly fee from hockey gear suppliers for the right to have their gear/logos seen on NHL Players. John said no and that hasn't changed to this day.

IMG_7601_2.jpeg

42670939_2154180168157949_8002024161260077056_o.jpeg

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 7

I got a email from someone at Brown, they told me they're taking orders for roughly a week then that's it.

They're closing shop doors August 1st. Someone posted they put in a order for pads and it was declined.

I put in a order for pants yesterday and havent heard back yet if it was declined or not. I dont know why his daughter isnt taking over. 

Its top bad, I always wanted a set from him, but his prices were more than Kenesky etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 11:22 PM, Wonder35 said:

I think generally it was just a retirement post for him."

Hell no. If you had ever spent some time with John at the shop your statement would be hastily withdrawn. His staff was not large but every time I dropped by, even without advanced notice, the Boss was in. 

Like all of you, I have no idea what the future has or hasn't for Brown Hockey Gear so I reiterate "Thanks John for insisting upon a high standard in goalie gear being available for pros and the rest of us." He has been up against the Big Boys since the 90's when the NHL suddenly demanded a yearly fee from hockey gear suppliers for the right to have their gear/logos seen on NHL Players. John said no and that hasn't changed to this day.

IMG_7601_2.jpeg

42670939_2154180168157949_8002024161260077056_o.jpeg

I think your old gear is being sold on facebook marketplace. I tried to tag you, but it didn’t work. Vintage Goalie Gear group shared the post.