Bauer Shadow vs Bauer Mach Chest Protector

Posted (edited)

Differences:

• Shadow has a thicker and more pronounced shoulder floater
  • Shadow features suspender holders
  • Shadow has HingeArm 3.0 = screws, not laces
  • Shadow has split design for backplate (2 piece system)
  • Shadow has Hybrid Belly System (partial tuck in/out system)
  • Shadow seems to be missing the ShockLite foam (yellow porous foams) Promo material indicates that there is Shocklite foam in both units. Might be the Shocklite Pro is the yellow porous foams that isn't prominent or visible on the Shadow.
  • Shadow has Curv Composite in the floaters Shadow has Curv Composite or Plastic on the exterior sides of the floater and segments. Mach has Curv Composite or Plastic on the interior side of the floater, and nothing for the segments.
  • Shadow shoulder caps feel more rigid than the Mach. This could be a cognitive bias, or it could be Curv Composite instead of the material used in the Mach. Insignificant enough.

Fit and Feel:

• Exactly the same as Mach
  • You will still experience the shoulder caps potentially interfering with the top of the hinge arms as in Mach/Ultrasonic (T-Rexes crying right now)

Everything else:

• Basically the same

20240530_172835.jpg

Elbows (Hinge Arm 3.0):

• Mach utilized paracord to keep the elbow segments together (I changed to skate lace). Shadow now features an internal screw on the inside that screws from the elbow cap internal towards the external hinge system. Elbows are more streamlined looks-wise but I would say insignificant enough as it never caused any issues.

IMG-20240530-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20240530-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20240530-WA0015.jpeg

Shoulder Floaters:

• Thicker
  • Smaller segments than Mach - more streamlined look I think this would cause
  • Features Curv Composite on the floater. I believe it's just foam for the Mach. Should create more pop as it's hitting a harder material.

IMG-20240530-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20240530-WA0009.jpeg

Hybrid Belly System

• Two velcro points on the side to attach the external hard belly pads to the internal soft belly pads - this is how they segmented the hybrid tuck. Soft inside, hard outside.
  • You can literally recreate this by cutting the Mach's webbing attachment points on the sides of the belly.

IMG-20240530-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20240530-WA0005.jpeg

Backplate

• Doughnut hole in the Shadow. One-piece in the Mach.
  • Should create more cooling effect as the pieces are split.

20240530_173214.jpg

20240530_173218.jpg

Edited by WizYuan
More photos
  • Like 6

• WizYuan changed the title to Bauer Shadow vs Bauer Mach Chest Protector
Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Only if he doesn't wash it. 

Pretty sure Mach does to, no? Feeling my Mach shoulder floaters, the "main" pieces are very stiff and don't bend at all. 

I'll include my jock strap and bathwater for free with every purchase of my used Mach equipment😘

Made me run into the basement - enough exercise for the day. Molested my floaters and the findings are this:

• The Curv Composite or plastic piece in the floaters are on the backside of the Mach (part closest to body). With the Shadow, it's on the exterior side (part away from body).
  • Curv Composite or plastic pieces are now in the shoulder floater segments - Mach is just foam for the segments.
  • Shoulder caps seem more rigid than the Mach - could be cognitive bias or Curv Comp vs Plastic in the shoulders.
  • Promo material indicates Shocklite Foam on the belly pads. Might be in reference that the Shocklite Pro is the yellow porous foam, and Shocklite is the standard foams.

Will adjust the findings. IMO, unless you can justify screw arms (which do not affect the mending) or not modding equipment, Mach sale is probably the best deal compared to Shadow. The Shadow still has the same issues where the shoulder caps might potentially get caught on the top of the hinge arm as in the Mach and Ultrasonic. The changes are not significant enough where you can jump straight into the next Supreme line. I can justify it as I don't pay full price on equipment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WizYuan said:

Molested my floaters and the findings are this:

I like the way you talk. 

The changes are not significant enough where you can jump straight into the next Supreme line. I can justify it as I don't pay full price on equipment.

That's been kind of the Shadow's reputation at this point. Really is a reiteration of the Mach line with minor changes. 

From my understanding it's a byproduct from the Covid times and Bauer being really conservative with changes for the sake of seeking revenue. Just disappointing to see so little changes from one of the largest boys on the market. 

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I like the way you talk. 

That's been kind of the Shadow's reputation at this point. Really is a reiteration of the Mach line with minor changes. 

From my understanding it's a byproduct from the Covid times and Bauer being really conservative with changes for the sake of seeking revenue. Just disappointing to see so little changes from one of the largest boys on the market. 

Baby you can call me 2018 World Juniors 😘😘😘

I think you can even so far to say if you can find an Ultrasonic for clearance, go for it as compared to Mach or Shadow. You're not missing much.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WizYuan said:

Baby you can call me 2018 World Juniors 😘😘😘

I think you can even so far to say if you can find an Ultrasonic for clearance, go for it as compared to Mach or Shadow. You're not missing much.

Matt (Hockey Review) said and showed how flimsy the foams were on the arms, little comfort protection wise, but apparently crazy Arm mobility. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw one today, it was too small for me to try on but it seemed no more thicker or protective than the Elite model. 

The Warrior stuff beside it seemed more Pro than the Shadow looked.

Fine for beer league and those of us who don't mind feelers. But grade A+ hockey? Needs the beefed up options I think.

28 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Saw one today, it was too small for me to try on but it seemed no more thicker or protective than the Elite model. 

The Warrior stuff beside it seemed more Pro than the Shadow looked.

Fine for beer league and those of us who don't mind feelers. But grade A+ hockey? Needs the beefed up options I think.

Beefed up all around run to almost a thousand Canadian, I got one, and decided to return it right away as I wasn't ready to part ways with my chesty and spend a thousand.  The store wasn't happy when returning lol. 

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

I think this is more of testament to the S23 Elite model honestly. I've heard good things from kids who wear it.

On 7/11/2024 at 1:46 PM, Desert Tendy said:

How are you liking the Shadow?  I’m stuck between this and HL2.

After modifying it by sewing loops on the inner tuck system (I loop my inner belt there), I can't really complain on the feel of the chesty. My opinion is that it feels and fits well, and broke in about 3 games. It feels better than the Mach (but I believe it's because of the modification as my Mach was unmodified).

Performance-wise, I believe it to be more protective than the HL2. I played against a bunch of Junior A/B players for 3 games that could wire (bar down/headhunters) and took a lot of good shots. My opinion is that at that level, the unit would probably last about 2-3mo before you'll get bruising, so for beer league use would be about 2 years before the unit would be 'compromised' in a sense. I've had felt the blows on a few on the forearms but no bruising or pain, similar to a baby stinger that doesn't sting but linger. Sides do ask to be more protective but I'm placing the blame on my fat ass stomach as my body shape is sculpted to be like a God (Buddha).

• Haha 3