Let's talk movies and special series

RichMan

Posted (edited)

This should get a bunch of you going.

STAR WARS. I'd say I'm a fan, not as much as J.R. Tolkien series and huge monster movies, but I like sci-fi.

There have been so many segways from the original series, it makes it a little hard to follow at this point. I'm going to go on record and say that most character only made movies are not necessarily extensions but whole new creations, stories that some writers thought of.

A perfect example is the trailer I just saw on TV with the main female character from the Matrix playing, I'm guessing a Jedi. The title of the movie escapes me right now. 

As entertaining as these are, especially on the big screen, do you think what Lucas started with is losing its initial magic?

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

I'm more of a Clone Wars fan myself, I came home from school everyday and cranked out homework just to get to watch the new episodes each week, (so yes I'm that young I'm sorry) but I made sure to watch and understand the original trilogy and the prequels. IMO Revenge of the Sith is the best one, because it relates the most to the Star Wars I grew up with, but I have a wise respect, you could call it, for the original trilogy, kind of like how I look at all you ooooooooldies on here, you carry all the experience, which of course outranks everything (thanks Captain Rex).

I think they got caught catering to certain groups over their main fanbase which really hurt Disney bad. Lucas isn't as much a part of the new stuff and has even publicly spoken out against many things the newer movies have done. He openly hated on what they did to the Luke Skywalker character in his last appearances.

They also kind of seemed to try and copy what Marvel did, building this massive universe, but Star Wars has an expansive timeline and lore that is crammed into one galaxy with very set rules. Marvel made breakable rules that would makes sense within its own se of rules (confusing right) but because of the way their timeline is, they can constantly bend and contort stories in circles and have it all make sense. With Star Wars it feels like they're trying to cram everything into a box and it doesn't all fit or make sense.

• Like 1

Iv never seen Star Wars, not even the original. I found I had better things to watch and be interested in in the 1980s. Still doesn't interest me, still no interest to go back and see what all the hoopla was about. Closest thing was Spaceballs.

Anyway, the new Planet Of The Apes is out in theatres.

• Like 1

I like all the Charelton Heston sci-fi, all the Rambos, all the Halloween movies, all the Dirty Harry stuff and the spaghetti westerns. Pretty much anything with Burt Reynolds or Jack Nicholson. Al Pacino or DeNiro. 

That covers a lot of classic stuff but I like most anything classic more than anything else. 

• Like 1

Never enjoyed Star Wars very much; saw the first couple and they were ok but didnt do it for me. More of a Star Trek fan.

Heat is an awesome movie of super cops and super bad guys. Only draw back is Pacino. I dont get it with him. Am I the only one who thinks he overacts except for his work in Godfather I and II? He was fun as Lucifer in the Devil's Advocate. Which leads me to Reeves; great fun in Point Break, Bill and Ted, and of course John Wick. Havent seen IV yet.

Best movie ever is The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly. 

On 5/25/2024 at 5:09 AM, RichMan said:

This should get a bunch of you going.

STAR WARS. I'd say I'm a fan, not as much as J.R. Tolkien series and huge monster movies, but I like sci-fi.

There have been so many segways from the original series, it makes it a little hard to follow at this point. I'm going to go on record and say that most character only made movies are not necessarily extensions but whole new creations, stories that some writers thought of.

A perfect example is the trailer I just saw on TV with the main female character from the Matrix playing, I'm guessing a Jedi. The title of the movie escapes me right now. 

As entertaining as these are, especially on the big screen, do you think what Lucas started with is losing its initial magic?

How about Dune? I read books years ago and first one was great. The other parts are quite strange, but good too. I liked the movie a lot, much more than the old one from eighties.  

9 hours ago, mik said:

How about Dune? I read books years ago and first one was great. The other parts are quite strange, but good too. I liked the movie a lot, much more than the old one from eighties.  

I saw the original one back in the day. Odd but kinda interesting. Not the kind of movie for someone who can't focus or be patient as it moves slowly. I saw the newer version and i hate how it finished, left you hanging. It felt like they rushed through it (despite it already being a long ass movie), like there were some details missing or extra scenes they could of inserted to fill in the blanks. If you read the books, you probably already knew what and where. I haven't , so I was felt shorted with the experience.

On 5/25/2024 at 12:16 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I'm more of a Clone Wars fan myself, I came home from school everyday and cranked out homework just to get to watch the new episodes each week, (so yes I'm that young I'm sorry) but I made sure to watch and understand the original trilogy and the prequels. IMO Revenge of the Sith is the best one, because it relates the most to the Star Wars I grew up with, but I have a wise respect, you could call it, for the original trilogy, kind of like how I look at all you ooooooooldies on here, you carry all the experience, which of course outranks everything (thanks Captain Rex).

I think they got caught catering to certain groups over their main fanbase which really hurt Disney bad. Lucas isn't as much a part of the new stuff and has even publicly spoken out against many things the newer movies have done. He openly hated on what they did to the Luke Skywalker character in his last appearances.

They also kind of seemed to try and copy what Marvel did, building this massive universe, but Star Wars has an expansive timeline and lore that is crammed into one galaxy with very set rules. Marvel made breakable rules that would makes sense within its own se of rules (confusing right) but because of the way their timeline is, they can constantly bend and contort stories in circles and have it all make sense. With Star Wars it feels like they're trying to cram everything into a box and it doesn't all fit or make sense.

I don't know how old you are now but reading your post shows me that you got a higher intellect than most youth of today and your structure, presentation and attention to details is quite refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I get kinda Spongebob and Patrick like sometimes but it's not permanent, know what I mean ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• RichMan changed the title to Let's talk movies and special series
Posted (edited)

I updated the title of the thread to include special series as they can feel like a broken down movies, kinda like reading book 1 to say 3 or 5 or 7. Some of them are quite interesting and captivating and could have probably been made a movie on its own but the subject and its characters go too far deep that they would of been like a 5 hour movie or something.

I just finished OUTER RANGE on Prime. Initially I thought it was going to be about aliens or UFOs, cool stuff, but it turned out to be about the fabric of time. I won't go into more details but I got hooked. 2 season's worth. There surely will be a 3rd season to close it off. Can't wait.

STANGER THINGS...oh what a cult classic this will be! It brought me straight back to my teens in the 80s, felt so relatable. And the story line is awesome, brings out the geek in me. Again, can't wait for the final season out soon.

I was also able to catch the first episode of MONARCH: LEGACY OF MONSTERS. Holy shit!! I felt like a kid again. Giant monsters and creatures are right up my alley. GODZILLA!!! Need I say more? :D The attention to details and the CGI is amazing. Unfortunately it's on Apple TV and I'm not subscribed so I'll only be able to see it all if ever it comes out elsewhere or on DVD. I'm gonna feel like a crackhead looking for its next hit LOLLL!

Edited by RichMan

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I don't know how old you are now but reading your post shows me that you got a higher intellect than most youth of today and your structure, presentation and attention to details is quite refreshing. Don't get me wrong, I get kinda Spongebob and Patrick like sometimes but it's not permanent, know what I mean ;) 

@coopaloop1234 move aside, Richman is wayyyyyy more awesomer than you 😂😂

I’m 20, so yes, I try to think for myself a fair bit more than other people my age lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Ok, with the amended title, the Mrs. and I started binging on Netflix Three Body Problem. Pretty cool so far through 5 episodes.

I think I got to episode 6 before I shelved it. I thought it was fine, but it just lost steam somehow. 

33 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I also highly recommend The Gentlemen movie and the show. The movie is way better imo

They're both very good. Movie was definitely better, but the show was excellent and I binged it in about two days. 

• Like 1

Here's another one I finished and enjoyed...Fallout. Anxious for the next ones. The underlying messages of how society views world crisis and deals with it is spot on.

Coming back to movies, would a Tolkien sequel The Silmarilion be a welcomed addition to the series? Apparently Peter Jackson was working on one but no updates since. More contract issues I presume?

On 5/27/2024 at 12:34 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

I think I got to episode 6 before I shelved it. I thought it was fine, but it just lost steam somehow.

I thought it was pretty solid for an English adaptation of a Chinese novel. The Chinese made their own adaptation just before the Netflix version aired (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Body) and that's a beast of an adaptation at thirty episodes versus the Netflix's eight. I tried to watch it, but only got about halfway through. It's almost too faithful to the novel.

The first book was really good but the sequels go off the wall - I'm curious to see how that will be adapted...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichMan said:

Here's another one I finished and enjoyed...Fallout. Anxious for the next ones. The underlying messages of how society views world crisis and deals with it is spot on.

Coming back to movies, would a Tolkien sequel The Silmarilion be a welcomed addition to the series? Apparently Peter Jackson was working on one but no updates since. More contract issues I presume?

I am very curious how the Silmarilion can be/ will be a movie. It is a collection of Middle Earth creation myths and stories form the old age (thousands eyars before The Lord of the Rings). Complicated to read and without any main character(s) in a coherent story.  

On 5/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I also highly recommend The Gentlemen movie and the show. The movie is way better imo

Good catch! Havent gotten around to seeing the movie yet but the series was a blast. Guy Ritchie is highly underappreciated. His stuff is always entertaining.

I do not know how I overlooked Crank & Crank 2. Both of those movies are like defending a 5 on 3 with really bad D. 

9 hours ago, mik said:

I am very curious how the Silmarilion can be/ will be a movie. It is a collection of Middle Earth creation myths and stories form the old age (thousands eyars before The Lord of the Rings). Complicated to read and without any main character(s) in a coherent story.  

Yes, I read that it was an amalgamation of notes and unfinished stories put together by the son of Tolkien. Did he push it for the public or the bank roll, who knows?