CCM XF Knee Pad First Impressions

Look what just came in...

Probably the only thing I was excited about when flipping through catalogues, previewing early releases this year.

First pass notes -

1. They don't really strike me as a completely "new design" - I'm seeing a lot of similarities to the old Koho 590 knees, except replace the plastic knee cap at the bottom (which always bruised my knees) with the landing area we have now.
  2. Speaking of the landing area, they've provided a really generous landing platform on the inside of your knees.
  3. Bottom knee area also freely articulates from the rest of the knee.  Its  held in via elastic looped through the center of the middle plate.
  4. There is some nice customization option at the top for how you integrate with your undergarments.  One option is to use the the CCM garter (sold separately) or with Bauer style jock shorts with the velcro attachment for socks.  This piece backs with velcro too, so you'd stick the attachment piece to the jock short, and then the sock on top of the knee pad attachment.
  5. A lot of air knit nylon and aerated foam.  Not sure if I'm a fan of this from a durability standpoint.
  6. Looks like a nice knee pad that is slimmer profile than the CCM Pro model.

IMG_3263.thumb.jpg.a30c833f9bac7351f403b8946a8997e3.jpg

IMG_3264.thumb.jpg.3a5b4a976283626856299dcdb190d1e0.jpg

• Like 4

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!

I wonder how it will last. Looks like air knit / webbing is used in places where there is usualy constatnt friction during movement - the place where knee pads usualy tear. 

Looks like Warrior's design which is a good design.  Yes wear is a question as I be gotten over 8 years out of two Warrior knee sets and the 2nd is still going but I have a 3rd ready to go when I feel like they need replacement.  Looks comfy and possibly worth a try down the road.  

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:41 AM, Hockeygoalie111 said:

Looks like CCM finally decided to get rid of the plastic cap knee pads.  Always hurt wearing those, but with more padding in the knee landing, I thought they were a good design.

The xf is the mid level knee pad. The new xf pro still has a plastic knee cap. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:33 PM, Chenner29 said:

Look what just came in...

Probably the only thing I was excited about when flipping through catalogues, previewing early releases this year.

First pass notes -

1. They don't really strike me as a completely "new design" - I'm seeing a lot of similarities to the old Koho 590 knees, except replace the plastic knee cap at the bottom (which always bruised my knees) with the landing area we have now.
  2. Speaking of the landing area, they've provided a really generous landing platform on the inside of your knees.
  3. Bottom knee area also freely articulates from the rest of the knee.  Its  held in via elastic looped through the center of the middle plate.
  4. There is some nice customization option at the top for how you integrate with your undergarments.  One option is to use the the CCM garter (sold separately) or with Bauer style jock shorts with the velcro attachment for socks.  This piece backs with velcro too, so you'd stick the attachment piece to the jock short, and then the sock on top of the knee pad attachment.
  5. A lot of air knit nylon and aerated foam.  Not sure if I'm a fan of this from a durability standpoint.
  6. Looks like a nice knee pad that is slimmer profile than the CCM Pro model.

IMG_3263.thumb.jpg.a30c833f9bac7351f403b8946a8997e3.jpg

IMG_3264.thumb.jpg.3a5b4a976283626856299dcdb190d1e0.jpg

If you owned either or both the sr Warrior and Bauer 1X models, how do these CCMs compare?

• 1 month later...

I just got the CCM Pro ones last week and used them on Sunday night for the first time. Very different feeling coming from Bauer knee pads, felt disconnected from my pads at the start of the skate but it started to feel a bit better towards the end. Will see how things go on Wednesday for me. I could not stand the old ones with the screw in them, these seem to be an improvement.

• Like 1