CCM ABPRO CHEST AND ARM PROTECTOR THREAD

1 hour ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

There is a pro return unit on SLS.  Looks the same to me.  Only thing I could think of would be lesser quality plastics/foams

From what I’ve seen, I don’t think there is any difference between the retail and pro-offering. Here is a couple of photos of the one from SLS that has the sensor bracket stitched on the back. I agree, it looks almost identical to the retail unit:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Now, there could be some differences in terms of internal constructions and foams, but if I put my manufacturing hat on, I would really doubt it (even with what we’ve seen in the past). If anything, my assumption is that CCM has streamlined their production line when it comes to this unit, which would slightly reduce their overhead, and increase their production turnaround.

I don’t have any sales or prebooking information, but my guess is that CCM is hoping this will be a slam dunk and become the new age P1. From all accounts, it looks like this might just be the case. The Got Hockey podcast recently had Kaylie Dankevy from CCM on, and they spoke about the unit (starting at 21:29). At the 25:20 mark she mentions that they cannot keep the unit in stock and that NCAA players are starting to pick this one up (bit of a marketing push? Sure, but I have no doubt its become very popular). They also go into more detail about the fit/sizing on this unit (26:13 to 28:11), which is pretty much bang-on to what myself and others have been saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSZfRTZlBc

Edited by Obiwanjabroni
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
  • 1 month later...

I just tried on a fit 3 at hockey monkey in Irvine...things gorgeous. Fit is good, mobility is solid, and the chest/belly plate comes down a bit lower than my XL V8 where I keep getting stingers. I could be seriously convinced on this guy.

I want to try one really bad. Issue for me is I know these styles have traditionally hung low in the neckline and so many pros and people who like this chesty have to use alternative additional neck protection to cover it.

While obviously neck protection is a good thing to have anyways, I've been lucky in my playing time using Passau's to not have to and would like to keep it that way. Anyone that wears one of these confirm the low hanging neck?

Usually on Passau's or any others that have adjustability on the shoulders and how pulled up it is in your neck I have those adjusted up higher. Obviously you can't do that on this NHL spec unit so I'm worried it'll be a waste of money to try. I do also attach my pants to back of pants to aid in keeping up higher in the front. Just don't know how much that will help on this. I untuck as well.

17 hours ago, Smalls said:

I want to try one really bad. Issue for me is I know these styles have traditionally hung low in the neckline and so many pros and people who like this chesty have to use alternative additional neck protection to cover it.

While obviously neck protection is a good thing to have anyways, I've been lucky in my playing time using Passau's to not have to and would like to keep it that way. Anyone that wears one of these confirm the low hanging neck?

Usually on Passau's or any others that have adjustability on the shoulders and how pulled up it is in your neck I have those adjusted up higher. Obviously you can't do that on this NHL spec unit so I'm worried it'll be a waste of money to try. I do also attach my pants to back of pants to aid in keeping up higher in the front. Just don't know how much that will help on this. I untuck as well.

In my experience they hang low and I’d highly recommend some sort of neck/collarbone protection with it. 

• Like 1

My 2cents...I've had the P1 from TGC. It hung a tad low but because of the strapping at the back of the shoulders/traps, you could pull it up good enough to eliminate lots of neck room. Also, don't forget that the c/a will ramp up more at the collarbone when you crouch over and when you tuck in. Even on high shots we all have the reflex to hunch the shoulders up which again will lift the c/a neckline up some. If you still get caught in the neck from a shot, it's either you've gotten too slow, or you're playing above your skill level, or just some bad luck.

In comparison, the AB18 and its newer cousin have zero adjustment over the shoulders, so it just saddles over your shoulders and traps. If you have a skinny frame or narrow shoulders, the unit will droop on you far more than a thicker more muscular or heavy set guy.

That being said, I'm wondering if the pros actually get them tailored to their upper frame as you would when fitting a dress suit? In any case, if you still wanna rock one of these (P1 or AB Pro), consider a neck guard or at the very least a dangler. Both together will offer you the best insurance.

• Like 1

been using mine for a few weeks now and really like it.  Only complaint is that it leaves the dreaded upper rib/arm pit area a bit more exposed than I would like when in RVH.  I am 5'10, 190 lbs and in a fit 2(tucked)

• 2 weeks later...

Great comparison, @Madmedic6! The new CCM AB PRO seems bulkier than the AB18, with thicker floaters and less segmentation, which might affect flexibility. The wrist straps also seem less adjustable. For those considering an upgrade, the added protection might be worth the price, but it’s a hefty jump. Would love to hear more opinions from anyone who’s tried it out!